+ Reply to Thread

Thread: questions on making maple candy

Default questions on making maple candy

So I thought I'd try my hand and making maple candy. Not the hard lollypop kind but the soft candy kind. I bought some grey rubber molds and boiled them with baking soda as recommended.

I have been reading and watching videos on how to do this. Some people say it takes 4 hours. Others say a half hour. I will be using already-finished syrup. How long does this take if I do about 2 cups for my first run?
    My stove is propane.

Also, Do I stir the syrup when it begins to foam up to prevent it from boiling over the top of the pot? Or would stirring it during the heating up cause it to scorch the sides of the pot?

Thanks.

Time depends on how much syrup you are boiling. Two cups will be a lot quicker than 2 gallons. You'll be closer to the half-hour number you heard. Once you get past 228 or 230, the temp starts to rise pretty quickly and you don't need the heat very high at that point. It doesn't need to rage like a syrup pan. A gentle bubbling is good. Keep an eye on it. Don't stir. Just use a defoamer of your choice.

Here's the go-to resource for candy: http://www.nnyagdev.org/maplefactshe...ar%20Candy.pdf
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Thanks for the reply. Just did my first batch. Used about 2.5 cups of syrup, brought to the softball mark on my candy thermometer, let it cool down for about 5 minutes, then stirred. I stirred for a bit too long because it hardened up right as I was about to pour into the molds. So I added water and brought everything back to a boil, let it cool a bit, stirred, then poured. The candy came out 'alright' but I think there are too many sugar crystals that formed from all that. It's a bit more granular than I think it should be.
    I am going to try again soon. That link you provided is great. Thanks for that

Making by hand is tricky. Your doing good. Keep practicing. Might get a digital candy thermometer in tenths of degree will help. Between 242 and 245 is usually about right with minimal stirring. remove from heat and stir gently until you see a faint white line follows the spoon (sugar crystals). Then pour quickly into molds.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

When I stirred by hand I would count stokes around the pan. That helped a lot.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I only made candy a couple times, brought to 245 let it cool to 190 stirred a little and poured into molds, let sit over night then took out of molds came out good, as the others said though I also need some practice but I will keep making it.good luck

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried a couple more times and I've just about got it down pretty good. I keep the heat low, and go lower when it gets close to the right temps. This keeps it from burning. I use very small amounts of cold milk to bring down the foam. The batch I just did went almost perfect until I poured into the molds too early. I thought I saw the syrup starting to lighten in color and didn't want it to harden in the pan. So I poured. The candies hardened up, but are grainy. Can I melt them down and do it again? Or would it still be too grainy?

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I've tried a couple more times and I've just about got it down pretty good. I keep the heat low, and go lower when it gets close to the right temps. This keeps it from burning. I use very small amounts of cold milk to bring down the foam. The batch I just did went almost perfect until I poured into the molds too early. I thought I saw the syrup starting to lighten in color and didn't want it to harden in the pan. So I poured. The candies hardened up, but are grainy. Can I melt them down and do it again? Or would it still be too grainy?
    Candy making is very forgiving. All the breaks, goofs, or any other bits from your pot, spoon, etc., can go right into the next batch without any negative effects. They also go into your family's mouths without any negative effects either.

The graininess is more about your target temperature and cooling than your stirring. Keep notes with each batch and it's easier to make adjustments. Keep an eye on the humidity, too. A muggy day can impact your results.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350

Thank you. So the sugar grain will melt during the next boil? Or would candy that's too grainy result in candy that's too grainy?

Yes, the old candy will sit in the bottom of the syrup and dissolve as you heat it up. If you are throwing a lot of old candy in there then maybe move it around a bit so it doesn't sit too long right on top of the flame. It dissolves quickly.

I haven't noticed the quality of the older batches affecting the new batch. I suppose if you had a lot of old candy in there you could get a darker batch of candy, but I haven't had that happen.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350

+ Reply to Thread