+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire proofing smoke stack

I used Simpson Class A SS chimney pipe to go though the roof. They make a single wall to insulated pipe adapter, which makes the connection easy. They also make several kinds of thimbles for wall/roof penetrations. Even with insulated pipe, there is still a required air gap of 2 inches to combustibles, and the insulated pipe must extend inside the space by 3 inches. I also used used the same pipe to meet code on a wood stove in another building.

As said above, fire on the outside of the chimney is very distracting, and can ruin your whole day.
    Last edited by Ghs57; 03-25-2018 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Correction to comment.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

Quote Originally Posted by tonka View Post
    Daveg: aren't some of the insulated stove pipe out there have a layer of ceramic blanket between the inner and outer wall of the stack? I've had my fire box insulated with the same blanket as I have in my sleeve and I've been able to hold my hand on the firebox wall for a decent amount of time before it gets to warm for my hand. Not trying to be difficult on the subject, the last thing I want to do is burn down my sugar shack.
    If my code inspector saw my chimney was in contact with combustibles and he told me to fix it before he would issue a Certificate of Occupancy, I would thank him and then I would fix it and give him a free quart for saving me from a non-covered insurance loss.

Ok, so I took your guys advise (which I greatly appreciate) and improved it. I have my sleeve around the stack but left the blanket out to allow adiquite air flow. I also installed a coupe pieces of tin on top and bottom with a 4 inch gap between the tin and 2x6 purlins on edge. The closest combustible is 15inches away from my sleeve (first layer of steel to the stack and 4inches away from the second layer of steel from the stack.20180328_171201.jpg20180328_171106.jpg

That looks so much better. You've got heat shielding and clearance. Now we don't have to worry about your chimney.

I know the codes are geared toward the "worst case scenarios", but you ready don't want to fall into that category for any avoidable reason.

I did a test boil today, didn't push the cooker by no leans, had a decent boil going in the front pans and a light boil going in my tube pan and the thermometer didn't get no hotter then 350 degrees.
    I really do appreciate all the advise others share on my threads and others as well. First time in a sugar house and the last thing I want to do is burn the place down because of something that could have been avoided. Something like this is better to be over killed then under killed, simple as that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12