+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CV spout question

Default CV spout question

Has anybody installed new drops with new cv spouts on vacuum? Wondering if it would out perform a new drop and new conventional tap. Thanx.

My understanding is the CV's have little effect until the drops are more than 2 years old. Given there is little biofilm built up yet in the tubing and dropline the only benefit from the CV would be to prevent the small amount of sap that might get sucked back into the tree at freezeup.

We use non-cv stubby adapters for the 1st 2 years after we install new tubing.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Sparrow View Post
    Has anybody installed new drops with new cv spouts on vacuum? Wondering if it would out perform a new drop and new conventional tap. Thanx.
    Generally a new drop and spout are good for a year without using CV spouts/adapters. While you might get a small amount of additional sap with a CV on a new drop (as explained by Ennismaple), the economic benefit is too small to justify it in most years. The economics do work out for 2nd and subsequent years however.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I take it the CV should be replaced yearly?

Quote Originally Posted by prairietapper View Post
    I take it the CV should be replaced yearly?
    That's correct.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by motowbrowne View Post
    That's correct.
    I confess I probably would have doubted it if told that by a salesman selling them. but after seeing side by side new 3/16 and last years 3/16 taps. I am totally convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Generally a new drop and spout are good for a year without using CV spouts/adapters. While you might get a small amount of additional sap with a CV on a new drop (as explained by Ennismaple), the economic benefit is too small to justify it in most years. The economics do work out for 2nd and subsequent years however.
    I have read most of the studies on CV spouts but none of them said anything about a CV on a new drop. What most of them did say was that nothing performed like a new spout and drop which is what I think I will stick with. A new spout and drop costs $.03 more than a CV spout (not including my labor). I think this would make the most sense for my small operation. The little bit of extra labor not a big deal for me as I only have 600 taps. I will sleep well knowing I am going to get the maximum yield possible every year. I do realize that for large operations with hired help this approach would not make financial sense. I do enjoy boasting my sap per tap numbers to other local sugar makers in my area. Last year I did nearly 20 gallons of sap per tap (20+inches of vacuum) which was far better than anybody else around me did. An operation just two miles up the road from me only did 4 gallons per tap last year on gravity with old taps and drops (he is putting in new taps and drops after hearing my sap per tap numbers). Nobody around me has warmed up to the idea that tap hole sanitation is where it's at if you want maximum yeilds. Maybe after a couple more years of watching me smoke their sap per tap numbers they will come around.
    Last edited by Dale Sparrow; 03-24-2018 at 04:07 AM.

I think eventually you will get bacteria backing up into the tap hole from the line, not just the drop?
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Sparrow View Post
    A new spout and drop costs $.03 more than a CV spout (not including my labor). I think this would make the most sense for my small operation. The little bit of extra labor not a big deal for me as I only have 600 taps.
    Most producers (at least those with high vacuum) also change out the tee when they change drops to avoid the problem of creating microleaks, so the cost of a drop comes out higher than the cost of CV installation. For most others, there is also the cost (time or money) of making the drop, bringing it out into the woods, installing it, removing the old drops from the woods, and then disposing of the drops. For the majority of producers, the cost to replace drops annually can't be justified.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread