+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new filter press

Cone filters are a pain over time. I started out with one and 2 years ago I bought a Smokey Lake flat filter canner with the steam tray. Filtering is much easier because you are using all the filter, not just the tip. I made 82.5 gallons last with it and I am up to 76 gallons this year and still going.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Have you considered a flat filter? I make about same as you and it works well. I draw off though a paper filter then run it though two flat paper filters then though a flat synthetic. I have stacked two paper filters on top of the synthetic too.

I will finish with just under 15 gallons this year. Like you I do about 2 gallons of syrup and just yesterday I did 4. Since I plan on doing this for the foreseeable future, I said the heck with it after messing with cone and flat filters last year with smaller finishes. Seemed like half my syrup was always left in the filters. So I bought a Maple Guys filter press and a Smoky Lake Steam Bottler with steam tray. I COULD NOT be more happy with my end product! No more wasted syrup, no more waiting and waiting for the syrup to and make its way through the filters AND no more sugar sand no matter how hard you try to prevent it! Yes, up front it’s a bit more money, but in the long run... and the short run headaches, these two pieces of equipment are well worth the money in my opinion. I change my filters each run on the press and it’s very easy to clean with a hose after your done just by spraying through the hose end on the press. I originally tried bottling right from the press but the syrup cools to much while passing through.

http://www.mapleguys.com/product/MAPLEJET.html

https://www.smokylakemaple.com/produ...isher-bottler/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mick

2017- 45 taps on buckets. Made just over 3 gallons.
    2018- 41 taps on two 3/8” lines on vacuum. Ten lines on 5/16” and gravity with 49 taps. 4 taps on buckets
    Homemade 2x4 Oil Tank Evaporator
    Mountain Maple Smart Sap Sucker
    Maple Jet Filter Press
    Smoky Lake Maple Steam Bottler

I should have clarified that we break down the press after chasing it through with sweet. I would think that's a must. Leaving syrup in our 7" press doesn't work. We did that once, then we used to break it down every time and save the syrup then we came up with the chasing idea. The latter works good. We save our syrup in the blue pails and filter 2-3 times during the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbybreach View Post
    right now im using cone filters and they are horrible. takes for ever and its just not a good filtering technique in my opinion. this is what im looking at buying for next year. https://www.smokylakemaple.com/produ...-filter-press/. now im a small time producer making only 15-20 gallons for the season. every time I boil I make an average of 2 gal of syrup. so my question... this press can handle about 15-25 ..
    gallons of syrup at a time before the filters need to be changed. can I run 2 gal through it and then a couple days later run another 2 gal through it all while using the same filters? or is it best to change out the filters every time I boil? also the price difference between cone filters and a filter press is HUGE! is there a cheaper filter press alternative? maybe in the $400-$500 range?
    Bobbybreach,

A press is such a wonderful thing ...
    We bought a Daryl's press for ( 5" press ) our small operation ....
    I can tell you three things about it; 1) It comes with a price tag .... 2) Almost the best thing since sliced bread for us .... 3) I'd invest the money again ...
    We just ran 8 gallons through it last night ....
    We was running flat filters but couldn't keep up with our production rate ....
    Remember, if you have a small amount of syrup don't use all the plates ....... so if we are going to make 4 gallons of syrup we can use half the plates .....
    Now I am in no way an expert on using a press .... I am still learning ......
    But if it wasn't for some good folks on here (Dr. Tim, Haynes and others) we would not be where we are now in this learning curve ..... Thanks guys!!!!
    It's not just the press ... it's filter papers and filter aid .....
    One other thing ... your syrup will be clear and will sparkle .....
    Hope this helps .......
    2x5 SS home design on a home design arch w/ forced draft
    SS Evaporation Enhancement Unit
    Home design filter / canner
    Daryl Sheets filter press
    300 taps (280 on line, 20 buckets)
    120 gph Home Design RO
    2017 Chevy Silverado w/ 275 gallon tank
    8x16 sugarhouse w/ attached woodshed
    A wife, family and friends that love to help!!

Quote Originally Posted by mainebackswoodssyrup View Post
    I should have clarified that we break down the press after chasing it through with sweet. I would think that's a must. Leaving syrup in our 7" press doesn't work. We did that once, then we used to break it down every time and save the syrup then we came up with the chasing idea. The latter works good. We save our syrup in the blue pails and filter 2-3 times during the season.

Leaving syrup in the press overnight works fine. Just have to heat plates up (I run preheater water over mine) and start slow (I love my air diaphragm pump)
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Giving a guy advice on his desire to by a filter press by suggesting better ways to flat filter is like giving a guy that's looking to buy his first tractor that maybe he needs better horses to pull his plow.

Anybody have experience with a round vacuum filter press for small batches?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDWZWj-CUyo

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
    Giving a guy advice on his desire to by a filter press by suggesting better ways to flat filter is like giving a guy that's looking to buy his first tractor that maybe he needs better horses to pull his plow.
    No it isn’t, it’s being practical. 15-20 gallons a year is a really small amount to justify the expense of a filter press. Plus, you are making such a small amount each time, it is going to be hard to keep the press warm enough to get the syrup threw it easily.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Haynes Forest Products Guest

A 5" press is very practical and can be used wisely with very little loss. You will have to change your ways a bit but building upon a solid piece of equipment will only lead to a better product. Less mold and less waste and quicker by far.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast