+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Maples - add Soft Maples?

Default Hard Maples - add Soft Maples?

I'm in Northwest Ohio. Been making syrup for 35 years. Buckets and spiles. 163 taps this year. I have always tapped Hard Maples. In reading the forums I see folks talking about Red Maples. I assume those are Soft Maples? What is the ratio sap to syrup? We have a bunch of soft maples. I tend to tap early to get the sweetest runs but with spiles the taps tend to dry up after about 4 weeks. After what I've been reading; I'm thinking I could pull my Hard Maple taps and tap Soft (Red) Maples for a second season?

In my experience, you would be wasting your time tapping reds now. Reds start to run a lot sooner than sugars, and thus stop and start to bud much sooner, in fact my reds are starting to bud now but the sugars are still closed up tight. Reds also tend to produce a lot less, and have a much lower sugar content. Though I do know some people who tap only reds, I no longer tap the few that I have. This is my first season on an all-sugars bush and my sugar content is definitely up and I feel that this is part of the reason why.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

Not sure what you are calling a soft maple. There are dozens of varieties of Maple trees. The sugar maple generally has the highest sugar content but close behind are black maples and red maples. These three typically have sugar content exceeding 3.5%. Silver maples come in around 2-3%. Down at the bottom of the pack are Manitoba maple or Box elder which has sugar content of 1-1.5%. I suspect these might be what you are calling soft maple because they have weak branches that are susceptible to heavy wind damage. You can still tap them and make syrup but the ratios are going to be approaching 80:1!
    2023 - 130 taps, 90L from 4,000L as of mid March
    2021 - 84 taps, 50L from 2100L
    2020 - 100 taps on buckets, 21L syrup from 2700L so far (FEB 26-Mar 13) and then the pandemic hit! End of our season!
    2019 - 62 taps on buckets, 95L syrop from 3215L sap
    2018 - 62 taps, collecting by hand, 90L syrop from 3200L sap
    2017 - Lapierre Waterloo Small mini pro with 40 taps
    2014 - 2016 40 taps making one or two batches on a 2x6 flat pan over an open arch as it would have been done in 1900

I have a mix of hard and soft Maple as well. (about 75% hard 25% soft) I usually tap mostly hard Maple but also a few soft because they're nice big ones and conveniently located. In my experience, the reds can produce well but will bud out 1-2 weeks before the hard Maples so you need to pull those taps first, and then your season is almost done. Sugar ratio is a bit lower with reds but not terrible. (aprx. 60:1)
    What i've done in past years is pull the taps from my south facing Reds, clean the spiles, and tap a few trees on my north facing hill that is about 2 weeks behind. These fresh taps will run good until the warm weather hits.

2016 - 90 taps and a brick lined oil tank arch (60L of syrup)
    2017 - 100 taps (60L)
    2018 - 60 taps (12L of syrup)
    2019 - 75 taps (22L of syrup)
    2020 - 75 taps (25L of syrup)

Soft, typically red/silver, will have flower buds open rather early and I think a lot of people get confused between flower and leaf buds. I tap almost all silvers and many trees' flower buds have been open for a while - reds aren't far behind. Sap/Syrup is still perfect. Leafs buds take longer to swell/open but still will do so before sugar maples so you might not get quite as long of a season from them. Sugar content of my silvers this year is just under 2% overall and have pumped out 16 gallons per tap (starting in February) but in years past I've had up to 4% during some runs. IMHO, I think the soft maples make a better tasting syrup too; so having more variety in your sap could make for better syrup. It's worth a try. I tapped reds as a kid on our farm and man that was good stuff and sugar content was always near 2%.

tl;dr. Soft maples are worth it. Box elders too, but I keep that separate since it's quite different (and those leaf buds swell super early).
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

With buckets you are not going to consistently get as much sap from red maples as you will from sugars. In my bucket days I tapped reds but most of them produced very little. On vacuum they will produce quite well and I have some reds that rival sugar maples in terms of quantity and sugar content of sap.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Thanks for all the feedback. Next year I am going to tap some Red Maples early and then do the Hard Maples when I normally do. Hopefully this helps me extend my season.

Quote Originally Posted by old fashioned View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. Next year I am going to tap some Red Maples early and then do the Hard Maples when I normally do. Hopefully this helps me extend my season.
    This sounds like a good plan, especially if you put the reds on tubing and get some form of vacuum on them. That has been a game changer for me because I have mostly reds.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

where I am in Vermont, I don't see as much a difference between the reds and sugars as far as budding or sugar content. my reds probably bud a week MAX before my maples. they also produce just about as much sap. I'm not sure on sugar content but I have half and half and I average around 2% to 2.25%. my average tree is probably 12"-13" diameter so that could have something to do with it. I tap 40 trees down the road from me on buckets... those are all sugars and 30-40" in diameter and they produce sap like crazy and around 3%
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

I only have Norway Maples to tap presently and see a huge huge difference depending on open trees versus woods. Open trees I see a consistent 2% or more and the woods started at 1% and is down to 0.5% now (which I stopped collecting now). All Norways.

I think asking ratio's between Maple types you have to make sure you are comparing the same conditions. My open Norways at 2% is higher than some sugar maples in the woods from what I read others reporting in Pennsylvania this year. But an open sugar Maple would probably blow away my open Norways in sugar and sap content when growing in the same conditions.

I am first year tapper so take my comments with a grain of maple sugar.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast