+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Filter aid with cone filter

Default Filter aid with cone filter

Do you guys use a filter aid (DE) when using a cone filter? If so, when do you mix the DE into the syrup? We batch boil about 250 gallons of sap in one shot, and always seems to have a problem getting the 6 gallons of syrup filtered before it gets too cold to go through the filter at all.

Thanks

I have found that the more prefiltering you do the better. Run your syrup off the evaporator into 2 prefilters then let it sit in a 5 gallon bucket for a week or two and most of the sugar sand will settle to the bottom. Then pour your syrup into your finishing pots and the last gallon or so heat up separate to about 200 degrees or so and run it through several prefilters. Then once your syrup is finished run through a cone filter that is moistened with hot water and at least 4 prefilters. As they clog up pull a filter out. I assume you are using a filter tank it keeps the heat in and I can usually filter up to 10 gallons at a time with little problems. The more prefilters the better. I have a wf mason single cone filter tank and they run around $200 which is much less than the big brands. Hope this helps!

Give the Optimizer a try. It truly lives up to the hype - for far less money than a filter press. I easily put 5+ gallons of syrup through before it clogs. The only reason I don't know the exact number is because my boil has always ended before it clogged and I only get about 5-6 gallons per boil.

http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ight=optimizer
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
    Give the Optimizer a try. It truly lives up to the hype - for far less money than a filter press. I easily put 5+ gallons of syrup through before it clogs. The only reason I don't know the exact number is because my boil has always ended before it clogged and I only get about 5-6 gallons per boil.

http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ight=optimizer
    Thanks for the reply, I actually just ordered one tonight. I will try that. Do you find that if you boil harder that you get more sugar sand? Does a batch boil get more sugar sand than if we had a continuous flow pan?

Using a Orion filter, 4-5 prefilters and the filter optimizer from the guys in MA. The filter optimizer really does work well for us as we use a 7 gallon square filter/bottler. I put the propane burner on super low and just kept filtering & filling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    10’x16’ Sugarhouse
    18x60 CDL Drop flue Evaporator
    100 Taps on gravity

Quote Originally Posted by Boxelderburn View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I actually just ordered one tonight. I will try that. Do you find that if you boil harder that you get more sugar sand? Does a batch boil get more sugar sand than if we had a continuous flow pan?
    I'm not sure about the boiling harder, but batch boiling definitely leaves more niter in the pan. When you boil continuously, you are pulling off some of the niter with the syrup, so there is less in the pan.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

I finish on my stove and I started this year by only turning the heat up to medium high or just above, so that it finishes at a softer boil. I just finished 6 gallons the other night using a wool cone filter and an optimizer.

I also have an rc10 fry oil cone filter and I've started filtering my draw offs through that before moving to finish. The rc10 filters are 80 micron filters and do very well with near syrup. It really takes the stress off the cone filter setup.
    2017- Started small-made 7 gallons. Long days & few nights on a 1x2 and turkey fryer.

2018- Bought a 2x4 and built a small scale RO. 21 gallons.

2019- moved up to 100 gph procon for my home built RO. Built a steamhood. About 220 taps and 21 gallons again.

2020- 140 procon on the R0. Added a new mainline at my in laws. 330 taps for 24 gallons, sold excess sap.

+ Reply to Thread