+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RO back into same tank?

Default RO back into same tank?

Does anyone just recerculate back into the same tank? Small scale 250- 600 GPH RO

You can do that. Lots of people do. But my theory on that is you are constantly diluting concentrated sap.
    I have done this method. It does work in the end.
    And I do recirculate my concentrate in my head tank once I'm done concentrating.
    But the best way is to do multiple passes first.
    Run all the sap through the RO into a seperate tank.
    Then run it from that tank through the RO to the head tank. You can do 3 passes if you wish. But I find after 2 it's usually around 8-9 %.
    Once it's in head tank and your running evaporator you can plumb it so that the RO is recirculating the concentrate in head tank through the RO.
    I find that running it through on lower pressure works best with the 8-10% stuff on my RO cause it plugs up membrane fast if cranked right down. And it's still taking permeate off. Once it slows right down on permeate output I turn it off and rinse it.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

We use an old memtek RO back when you ran 500 psi. 2 4x40s in series and I batch until I need to fill the head tank. Then I turn a valve to open and close the valve to the tank I'm batching in. I too run to 8-12% in the past.

I am always supportive of the operator that's stays within budget and keeps costs in check. That being said there are numerous producers on here that have built or modified their ROs.

One place I suggest you visit is MES website and DOWs site for parameters for the membranes you will be using. The more you read up on them the more you will get out of an RO.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

To simplify my operation I fill my 800 gallon bulk sap tank and RO back into itself until it hits 18% then off to the holding tank and then its the next 800. I start the evap and off to the head tank it goes and I start cooking. I have a CDL 600 and I run it like I stole it. I have the membrane cleaned at my dealer and it comes back better every year. I rinse often and wash every night.

Getting an RO mid season this year was not in my plans so I was not really set up with extra tanks and space, but to quickly get up and running I just recirculate in my tank. I added a splitter in the concentrate output, and when that reaches 8% I shoot it up to my head tank. It was recommended that if it was run this way to flush the membrane every 30 minutes for 1 minute by opening the needle valve fully, then cranking it back down to operating pressure. I will probably continue to run this way as it seems to work out pretty good. Mine is a smaller 50gph RO though.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

I used to recirculate back into my raw sap tank but had to keep diluting it when I had big runs and no place else to put the sap. I now have a dedicated sweet tank. I do recirculate back into that until I get it to 14% and then send it to the head tank. I'm a small guy too and like to concentrate in batches of about 300 gallons to keep my flow rates up. I can do that with the sweet tank.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I recirulate right back into the ro system after the filter and before the HP pump. this way the concentrated sap does not have to run through the filter again.
    Tim Schmidt
    2013 13 Taps 4 Gallons Syrup, Drum evap.
    2014 50 Taps 14 Gallons Syrup, Drum evap.
    2015 60 Taps on 3/16 gravity, 40 Taps on buckets, 42 Gallons Syrup, Home built 30 x 60 arch and flat pan
    2016 125 Taps all on 3/16 gravity average 18 in. vacuum, 43 Gallons Syrup, Same Arch and Pan
    2017 125 Taps all on 3/16 gravity average 18 in. vacuum, 44 Gallons Syrup, Same Arch and Pan
    2018 155 Taps all on 3/16 gravity average 18 in. vacuum, Same Arch and Pan, home built 100 gph ro unit

I believe that if you use one tank, you should pull the sap for the RO from the top of the tank. The higher concentrate is in the bottom of the tank. You will concentrate much faster.
    The way that I do is to go from (A) tank then to (B) tank then the head tank at 11 - 14%
    Home of the machined 5 X 5 Hand Filter Presses Made in the USA
    Chairman of Lake Erie Maple Expo
    Dealer for DSD Stars, MemProTec RO'S, SUNRISE METAL SHOP, Bosworth Pumps
    Becker Vacuum Pumps

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    I believe that if you use one tank, you should pull the sap for the RO from the top of the tank. The higher concentrate is in the bottom of the tank. You will concentrate much faster.
    The way that I do is to go from (A) tank then to (B) tank then the head tank at 11 - 14%
    I feel this helps. Before I had enough tanks I had a stand pipe I could drop into the drain in my tank that had openings about half the tank height. The pipe was tall enough to reach top of tank. The other neat part of this was the RO would shut down at half a tank if I was not right there to switch it over.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

We run a CDL Hobby 250. We RO from a larger holding tank which holds sap pumped from the woods. We do a first pass into a 230 gallon tank. If the sap is not at 4% we often recirculate until it hits 4% (most of our sap is around 1.75%). The one thing to remember when recirculating is you can go too far. We keep our suction a few inches from the top and the output on the bottom. We also stir the tank prior to checking the sugar content. It easiest to go from tank to tank, but running the RO is quicker than boiling on our 2x6.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast