+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitty Litter Pails for Sap??? :)

Default Kitty Litter Pails for Sap??? :)

Anyone use, or think of using, the 50lb kitty litter pails to collect sap? Obviously they can be cleaned and bleached so I don't really see why they couldn't be used....other than the potential strange look from your neighbors....any thoughts or experiences on non conventional collection containers??? Regardless of how "clean" you can get it, the material it was made from is not suitable for food.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 03-21-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisn418 View Post
    Anyone use, or think of using, the 50lb kitty litter pails to collect sap? Obviously they can be cleaned and bleached so I don't really see why they couldn't be used....other than the potential strange look from your neighbors....any thoughts or experiences on non conventional collection containers???
    Personally I'd never consider using them. About the most non-conventional bucket in my stack had dish detergent in it originally.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Buckets such as this were not originally constructed with food-grade plastic, and thus might contain different types of regrind materials (unknown origin), as well as plasticizers, colorants, etc. that are non-food-grade.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

they make real nice garbage cans. so they have that going for them

I try to stick to food grade plastics. I did use a 50 32 gallon trash barrel for permeate though since I could not get another 55gal drum in time. I figured since I was not going to be consuming it, I would be ok. I do however see people hauling sap around in trash barrels as well as collecting in them so you are not the only person that sees no problem using non FG. I think about it like the old galvanized containers that everyone was and still are using with all the lead in them. They obviously thought that was fine back in the day. Who knows if there will even be such a thing as food grade plastic in the future. I try to stick to it anyway in case there really is something there.

i go to local bakerys and dunkin donut ( the one they make them at ) and get them free or for a couple bucks , usually there freshly emptied FG 5 and 2 1/2 gal frosting buckets, clean them out real good , and you have something decent to start with
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

Well you at it I bet kitty litter would work for filter aid.

Any recycled plastics are never food grade because there is no way of knowing what they may have contained or come in contact with. Use only buckets or jugs that had food in them. You have 9 months to get a supply. Check at bakeries, (even the bakery dept in a Walmart or such) for buckets. In my first year I went to a Chinese Restaurant and got all of their empty 5 gal cooking oil jugs for about 4-5 weeks. I then put a hole in the cap to run the tubing in. They took 3-4 times to clean them well, then 4 good rinses, but they worked well. And they were free.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisn418 View Post
    Anyone use, or think of using, the 50lb kitty litter pails to collect sap? Obviously they can be cleaned and bleached so I don't really see why they couldn't be used....other than the potential strange look from your neighbors....any thoughts or experiences on non conventional collection containers??? Regardless of how "clean" you can get it, the material it was made from is not suitable for food.
    Is this a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteStateJoe View Post
    I try to stick to food grade plastics. I did use a 50 32 gallon trash barrel for permeate though since I could not get another 55gal drum in time. I figured since I was not going to be consuming it, I would be ok. I do however see people hauling sap around in trash barrels as well as collecting in them so you are not the only person that sees no problem using non FG. I think about it like the old galvanized containers that everyone was and still are using with all the lead in them. They obviously thought that was fine back in the day. Who knows if there will even be such a thing as food grade plastic in the future. I try to stick to it anyway in case there really is something there.
    I have been told that the Rubbermaid "Brute" trash cans are food grade. I have never checked this out to see if it is in fact true but I have seen them used to store baking supplies in restaurants.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I am not sure it would be the best "image" for sugar making having kitty litter buckets collecting sap seen by the public. I do, however, like those buckets and use them for numerous non-food related things.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast