+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tubing freezing off taps

Default Tubing freezing off taps

Just curious if any one else is having problems with tubing coming off taps. These 10 degree nights are pushing off taps. Just a pain in the can!

Yes, my leader check valve spouts are pushing the tubing off, dozens a day.
    Greene Maple Farm Sebago, Maine
    7 Generations of Maple Syrup
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...01122259971904

Phillip View Farm
    Sebago, Maine
    30 Highland Cattle
    2 Alpacas, numerous pigs
    Chickens, lots of chickens
    http://www.facebook.com/atgreenetrac...hillipViewFarm

Yup, its happening on our stubbys. Also with the clear check valves the tubing comes right off the tap.
    Matras Maple

Started 15 years ago as backyard operation.
    Now have a 1325 taps and growing.
    Boiling on a 2.5x8 leader infurno with steamaway.
    New for 2019 a cdl 600 expandable RO, another bush on vac.

Yes. It seems to be a perpetual issue this season with the dramatic temp. variations. I have never seen it this bad. I had to hook up about 30 drops that came disconnected since the last time the sap ran....
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

It's nothing new here, we frequently have 0 degree temperatures until April. In fact it was -6 near here this morning. Two seasons ago it was -12 on April 4th, talk about some taps pushing out!

You guys need to change to a different brand of tubing for your drops. No has mentioned what they are using but I bet it's some type of semi rigid tubing like 30P. I use IPL pink stripe which is now CDL see through tubing. It stays on the taps and is soft and flexible. I haven't had a single drop fall off of a spout but a friend that is using 30P has to go out after every hard freeze and put dozens of them back on.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I've gotten push offs this season too, but only on CV2 taps that have new drops, with CDL tubing. The drop lines made last year with Leader tubing are staying put.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

Well I'm glad I am not alone. I have a few different types of line in use on the drops due to switching them out regularly.. No 30p.

From what I can tell, it has nothing to do with brand of tubing. It is the year. I was in the woods last night at 8. Temp was 26. Sap was still running out of trees well. Nothing was coming into releasers. That is the problem. Trees are running well below freezing. Sap can't go anywhere because lines are frozen. Pressure in system makes lines come apart at weakest link. We actually had a connector blow apart on a 3/4" mainline because of this. Not only has it came apart at the spouts but we have also had 5/16" ts and connectors push apart this year.....have never seen this.
    Neil

I was sure its not the tubing either. I was thinking it might have been the spout I used this year but now I see other people are having trouble with different spouts. I guess I just get to spend extra time in my favorite spot....the woods! I also noticed one time it is the trees at the bottom of the hill and another it is only at the top of the hill. I can only assume different trees are running based on temp, sun, etc. Thanks Neil for the info.

Craig

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast