+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finishing Syrup - Popping And Banging

Default Finishing Syrup - Popping And Banging

This was touched on in the Western New York thread, but last night while boiling my syrup pan was making some fairly frequent popping noises. While I have had this before, it is normally just upon start-up when everything is warming up. This was doing it the whole time. Now today while finishing in stock pots, the pot was popping and banging and physically bouncing all around on the burner. I poured off that syrup in a clean pot thinking it was settling to the bottom, but it wasn't. I couldn't even get it all the way to a boil without keeping it stirred constantly. Even once boiling it was still quite unsettled!!

What the heck causes this?? I've had it in the past, but never to this degree.

Is it just the pure amount of sugar sand suspended in the syrup? Filtering just under 6 gallons I had an awful lot of sludge, a good half inch deep in the filter. I'd expect this with late season dark stuff, but this is some of the lightest syrup I have ever made, if not the lightest. Really decent tasting as well.

3-20-2018_sludge.jpg3-20-2018_60%.jpg
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Looking forward to someone who knows about this; the last batch I bottled did the same thing. Made a hell of a racket in the steam tray I use for finishing. Lighter than other batches too.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

It's the niter or sugar sand on the bottom of the pan. This happens when it has time to settle to bottom. When heat is added gasses build up under the layer and make a booming noise when it gets up to temp.
    I've almost had my pan jump right off the rails because of this.
    I drain and filter my sweet from my pan every couple days to stop this.
    This will happen also if you leave unfiltered syrup in a pot. The sugar sand will settle on the bottom and the pot will rumble and bang and big bubbles will surface while it's heating up.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Bricklayer is spot on. This is more of an issue with latter in the year syrup.

Hmm...my finishing pan banged like mad after dumping settled nearup in it. Maybe enough niter in it anyways.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

Just when I'm thinking I might-sorta-understand what I'm doing... I read a thread like this. LOVE THIS STUFF! Thanks for sharing and the quick responses! Fascinating!

I second that Ntatar. We have a new evaporator set up this year and are working through how to best run it-only 5 boils so far this year. Dealer has been helpful with draft and blower settings but were having problems with "hot spots" on the pans and slight burning of the niter. I was discussing the situation with another more experienced sugar maker and thought it was the same cause discussed above. He also asked how much I let the pans foam up as he thought that would be adding to the problem. Because we always boiled on smaller rigs with tall pans we never really addressed foam in the syrup pans but always tried to control it in the flue pan(it didn't take much to mess up gradient in those set ups). Anyways I am looking forward to adjusting how we boil - once we can - on a two week break and probably close to another week away before we have some sap.
    Maplecherry

+ Reply to Thread