+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got inspected today

Neighbour hauls manure in his dump truck and then corn or beans Washes it out, but still. I've heard of guys hauling garbage and then grains....Nice eh?
    2239 total taps. 443 gravity line, 1806 buckets

3x12 remake of a Small Bros. Lightning evaporator.
    3x9 Darveau raised flue pan, 3x3 D&G reversible finishing pan.
    Reist arch

94 Argo 8x8 Magnum
    06 Argo 8x8 Avenger with a 100 US gal. poly tank in the back.
    30 - 45 Imperial gallon gathering station barrels
    1200 Imperial gallons in holding tanks
    Husqvarna 61
    Husqvarna 365

I just scratched corn and beans off my grocery list.

Going back to the sinks, it is a regulation- at least here in NY, that your 3-bay sink has to be big enough to submerge your biggest pot or pan in. Otherwise you fail your health inspection. However, having a sink large enough to submerge one's syrup pan is unrealistic at best.

But in a related story, I once sold an average size three bay sink to a guy who makes kettle corn. Obviously his equipment wasn't going to fit in it and I asked him about it. He said he asked the inspector about that too and they said, "Just get the three bay sink installed and we will go from there". What that meant was that he'd have the correct sink in place for 98% of his equipment and the huge kettle and paddle would not be an issue. He's still in business so I guess there is some leeway or compromise in there somewhere. So be polite and smile a lot when your inspector visits. It will help.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

He would have to have a CIP (clean in place) procedure for his kettle. Same as you would for a RO, evaporator, drawoff tank, water jacket canner, head tank, milk tank or transport tank.
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction

I'm not doubting you- I just don't know what procedure or arrangement allowed him to use the "small" sink. I'm just saying there must be ways to work around certain types of equipment. A polite conversation with an inspector should shed light on the subject.

And do not comment on their rusty car....lol!
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I doubt that they make a micro brew stick their fermenters in sinks or a brewery takes their copper kettle that's bolted to the floor and stick it in a sink. I would ask them as they walk out the door how to wash a dish washer. They didn't ask how I clean my filter press. I believe they know there are a lot of grey areas and don't even ask because they don't know the answer. I open up my press and punch out the cake and back in they go spray down with super hot water and install papers and get back to filtering. I guarantee after I change over to filtering and circulate into the finish pan my press it sterile.

I understand that were selling to the public but I don't sterilize my pots and pans at home.

I'm all for keeping my equipment clean - but, to be honest, mostly for taste and grade.
    Since the last thing touching our syrup are the 185-190 degree walls of the bottler, which sterilizes it, I don't fully understand the need for special sinks etc.
    The product is boiled, filtered and then re-heated to canning temperature before it reaches the consumer. There are far greater opportunities for contamination in a street vendor's food cart...where do they keep their sinks??
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Yep this is why I'm probably getting out of the bulk syrup business. The federal government can stay off my property!
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    Why are you being inspected by the FDA? DO you sell more than 50% bulk or is Wisconsin just clueless?
    Federal inspection went great. Was even better and easier going than the state was.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Jay tell us more about it and what were they looking for?? That's my next step to ruling the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jmayerl View Post
    Federal inspection went great. Was even better and easier going than the state was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
    Jay tell us more about it and what were they looking for?? That's my next step to ruling the world.
    Yeah, I'd like to know more about that as well. I'm in the process of equiping my commercial kitchen space and I'm torn between what kind of sinks to get. I know I need a hand wash sink but for the main sink to wash everything I'm wondering if I should get a 1, 2 or 3 bay sink. We don't health department inspections but if I'm packing someone else's syrup I know the FDA can inspect the facility and I don't know what they require. I've looked at some nice large one bay models that would be great for washing pans I use for canning or making sugar. I could do the same with a 2 bay model but I know there might be a requirement for the three bay model as well. I just want to get what I need and not have to replace it a year down the line!
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast