+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USDA census

By the way, if you refuse you will get a phone call for the information and if you still refuse to answer the questions you can be finned as much as $5,000. Look it up, Google will find it for you.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Very interesting. Thank you guys for the info. Gives us all something to chew on no matter how you look at it
    Brian Eldredge
    Mooncusser Maple
    16x24 post and beam sugar shack
    2x8 CDL maple pro Wes fab filter press
    Lots of shiny stuff now I need some more trees

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    My feeling is that those who refuse to fill out the Ag Census are likely afraid they will be caught for undeclared income. The ag census is not for finding who cheated a few bucks on their income taxes, it is to get information that is used in the budget processes. Does your state spend any money towards agriculture? Of course, and that is relative to the Ag information they get from the census.
    By the way, when you claim your income from farming, you also get to off set that with expenses, depreciation and all other little things that add up to you loosing money.
    But if you lose money consistently and never turn a profit then they call it a hobby and you can't write off anything.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by Scm View Post
    USDA census? Interesting. I haven’t heard of this. Please tell more.
    Send me your address, I'll send you mine.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    By the way, if you refuse you will get a phone call for the information and if you still refuse to answer the questions you can be finned as much as $5,000. Look it up, Google will find it for you.
    The ag census is unconstitutional! A direct violation of your 4th amendment rights as an American citizen. It is your choice whether you want to fill it out or not. As for fining. It is all an illusion meant to coerce you into filling it out. I have never known anyone to be fined. The regular census that takes place every 10 years requires you to state the number of people at said residence and that is it! Anything additional would also be anti 4th amendment.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

I got one, I was going to fill it out right away but I found that 98% of it didn't pertain to me or was confusing. I think if they sent me or anyone something that pertained to what you actually do it would be a lot easier and a lot more people would participate. Unfortunately our Govt doesn't work like that "some may even say it doesn't work at all at the moment" , by the time I picked it up again it was going to be way late so I didn't bother finishing it.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

I received one too and I am not a registered farm or maple operation
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by adk1 View Post
    I received one too and I am not a registered farm or maple operation
    Just curious, do you belong to your state’s maple association? I got one and figure the only way they got my name was from the NH Maple Producers Association.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I got one, I assumed it was because I had indicated farm income or loss on my tax return, or otherwise because I bought items from a maple equipment supply place identifying as a farm- because they asked, even though I am micro-sized. Interesting on the 'evidence' aspect, as I did the census quickly and rounded numbers, whereas the tax info is more detailed, naturally. I assumed it would help, but the conspiracy fearer in me will be more cautious next year.
    2014 Year 1, 1 large front yard shade tree with 3 taps - 3 quarts of the best syrup I ever had.
    2015 - Convince In-laws and Neighbors, bought F-150 and bricks. 20 taps, 4 gallons in pretty bottles.
    2016 -- More friends and neighbors, should add another 20 +, built temporary shelter as sugar shack. F150 traded for Ram 2500. Big Blue new barrels for 116 gal storage. 8 gallons Syrup.
    2017 - Mortared Brick Arch with serving pans, no make that an 18 x 48 CDL divided flat pan, 48 taps.

I have gotten them for years, way before I made Maple Syrup. However, I have had farm income and products for many years from hay and crops. How they determine who get's them is a good question. In Ohio ag land is noted on our property tax for a reduced tax rate, I always figured it came from that.

I don't worry about the government getting information about me from the survey. Heck if they want information on me there are dozens of ways a lot more complete and easier than an agriculture survey. The Dept. of Ag are choir boys compared to the IRS. As I said before I think this actually benefits our industry. The bigger Maple get's the more money goes to developing it. People Like Dr. Perkins benefit from farm bill funding, but if it is an obscure low production industry it won't get much attention.
    Last edited by buckeye gold; 03-30-2018 at 07:12 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast