+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USDA census

Default USDA census

Is it really against the law to not fill this out? What law is it ? I can understand if I had 10,000 taps but come on less than 200
    Brian Eldredge
    Mooncusser Maple
    16x24 post and beam sugar shack
    2x8 CDL maple pro Wes fab filter press
    Lots of shiny stuff now I need some more trees

Last edited by Scm; 04-11-2018 at 08:44 AM.

IMG_20180319_211944.jpg
    There's only a few questions for maple but seems a little invasive to me
    Brian Eldredge
    Mooncusser Maple
    16x24 post and beam sugar shack
    2x8 CDL maple pro Wes fab filter press
    Lots of shiny stuff now I need some more trees

Last edited by Scm; 04-11-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scm View Post
    EVERYTHING the government does is too invasive. I think my real question is, why did you get it? Are you registered as a farm, or license to sell syrup, or something.?.?. And what are the maple questions?

Side story: I started building wooden kayaks, listed my service on Craigslist. Got a call from a coast guard inspector. He had seen my ad. He wanted to inspect my “factory”. I told him to save the gas and check out the photos I posted on my website, you can see every angle of my tiny shop in the pictures. He wouldn’t give up for the longest time. It’s a 12x24 shed. What’s not phtoed is my personal space. Respect that. Talk about invasive. I’ve only sold two kayaks in my life. Inspect my “Factory” my a$$.
    Watch out. They are definitely out to get you.

A related story. Several years ago, my local building inspector(code enforcement officer) drove around town and handed out a new list of permits they were going to start issuing. They were all vaguely fire related, and included things like how many cords of firewood one could store, how many board feet of lumber, how much hay or grain, how many gallons of paint, oil, or fuel etc. etc. etc. There were probably thirty items on the list. I read it over carefully, and the next day I took it back to his office and dropped it on his desk. "Good luck with that" I told him. We never heard another word about it. These people don't have the personnel to carry out their crazy ideas...don't encourage them.

Last edited by Scm; 04-11-2018 at 08:45 AM.

The ag census is a requirement if you sell agricultural products, but I have never known anyone to get arrested for not doing it. I fill it out every time I get one. A lot of good comes from it as well. Funding within the farm bill is influenced by the information they compile. It is used for evaluation of food production and many other things. Not everything is a function of a Big Brother conspiracy. If you really want to know who is watching you and using your personal information for invasive reasons, look at corporate America. When I worked for DNR we used constituent surveys to determine what people wanted and how they wanted the resource managed. It was a measure of our effectiveness, we had no desire to use as a means of going after someone. However, if your hiding income or engaged in illegal activity you probably would not want to be honest on a government survey.....it does not exempt you from prosecution it is evidence. That is a matter of each person's personal conscious.

Last edited by Scm; 04-11-2018 at 08:48 AM.

My feeling is that those who refuse to fill out the Ag Census are likely afraid they will be caught for undeclared income. The ag census is not for finding who cheated a few bucks on their income taxes, it is to get information that is used in the budget processes. Does your state spend any money towards agriculture? Of course, and that is relative to the Ag information they get from the census.
    By the way, when you claim your income from farming, you also get to off set that with expenses, depreciation and all other little things that add up to you loosing money.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast