+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Defoamer / allergy question

Quote Originally Posted by Scm View Post
    I provided relevant links to information regarding the dangers of each the ingredients used in defoamer.
    If atmos is so “safe”. Why does the USDA require “organic” defoamer be used when making organic maple syrup?
    They allow toxic hexan be used when making “organic” canola oil. But not atmos in maple syrup?
    I see DaveG is getting at the same thing but you seem to be saying that because there are "dangers" with each of the ingredients in Atmos, then it is poison. This is absurd. Too much water will kill you, and it is an ingredient in beer. Therefore beer is poison....

Because certified organic syrup is required to be processed with only certified organic compounds is due to the certification requirements, not due to safety issues with non-organic compounds. And just because a solvent is used in producing organic canola oil does not mean it is present in the canola oil in any quantity that would be considered unsafe.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Last edited by Scm; 04-11-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tbear View Post
    How do you handle the aspect of possible allergies? Thanks, Ted
    For the love of everything good, please stop! The question was pretty straight forward. While there has been a few good points brought up ie. how much defoamer is actually in the syrup we bottle up / is there a hypo-allergenic defoamer, etc. The topic seems to me, maybe from my feelings of guilt for bringing it up, to have devolved into the "I'm right and you're wrong", "I am not!", "are too!" quagmire. Thank you all for your imput but please, let's stop. Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Scm View Post
    Water, Unlike the ingredients in atmos, doesn’t have a list of known side effects.

The whole point of organic certification is (was) about pohibiting the use of non organic (unhealthy) ingredients.
    You keep using the term ingredient but are not answering the question about whether defoamer is actually an ingredient or in what quantity it is present and if that quantity is problematic.

There are all kinds of minute things in the food you consume (organic or non-organic) that could kill you at higher doses but because they are present at such low quantities, they are not an issue. Like I mentioned, they've recently discovered that tiny particles of plastic are practically found in every bottle of bottled water. I'll bet that might also be the case with syrup and it could be anything you use for production. Are you going to list those as "ingredients" now that you know they are there? I'm betting not but I could be wrong.

Like others have said, you're trying to say that an individual additive in atmos defoamer at a higher dose can kill you so therefore it is poison but you keep failing to mention or demonstrate the level at which it would be found in a given container of syrup and demonstrate how that is poisonous.

I'll leave you with the fact that a lot of the foods you probably consume every day (organic or not) contain arsenic. You know that arsenic can kill you so why are those foods not poisonous? Hint: Is the arsenic found in such a minute quantity that it won't kill you and the benefits of the food outweigh the fact that it contains arsenic?
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

And I don't believe organic means safe or even safer. People sign onto the organic issue, asbestos is organic. I grow blueberries, if I was certified organic I can have a certain amount if insects in the berries, not on, but in. If I'm not certified organic I can not have any. Lots of things organic are deadly.
    As far as maple syrup goes, I far prefer using Atmos 300 because so far no allergic reactions have been associated with it and if one should surface the makers of Atmos have far deeper pockets than I do, besides, it may well be the most commonly used defoamer. If you are certified organic, do whatever they require, if just pretending to be organic do not identify your syrup as organic, the agencies that certify a product as organic will take you to court on that, they must get paid their fee.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thank Dave. "No allergic reactions have deen associated with it", this is the kind of info I've been GOOGLING my head off trying to find. Can you direct me to a site where I might be able to read about ATMOS 300 as pertains to allergies? Ted

Not to perpetuate the subject, but I was told butter has also been used to keep the foam down, but this might be for smaller producers like me when the foam keeps rising in the pot towards the end of the finishing process. I haven't tried it, so I have no experience. I have just been slowing things down at the final boil to keep the foam down.

Butter does work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast