+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frozen buckets

Default Frozen buckets

Have 100 frozen buckets... anyone have any ideas to thaw them? Need to empty them so were ready for next run.... we had a strange run here where the trees ran for about 1-2 hours a day for 2 weeks. Never enough to gather but eventually filled buckets??
    2010 - 28 taps, homemade brick arch
    2011 - 421 taps, 2' x 6' homemade evaporator
    2012 - 276 taps
    2013 - 385 taps, new 2' x 6'
    2014 - 600 taps, new 7" short bank filter press

Same here, 70 frozen...

I just leave frozen buckets, if they have any space in them once the the run starts they thaw out pretty well. You will find in a alot of cases there is a core of unfrozen sap in some , that is the cheap man's R/O. I find that mine that I take the unfrozen sap out test at 3.5%.
    31 Taps in 2011 with buckets, Barrel evap
    45+ Taps for 2012 with buckets, 2x5 Dryer Arch with steel pans ! 8x11 Sugar Shack, Dump Stations,
    60 Taps for 2013- Insulated Dryer arch, AUF,
    2014 watched from sidelines...
    70 Taps for 2015 - dryer arch, new 2x5 divided pan from Smokey Lake with a float box !
    70 Taps for 2016 - added a preheater and new grates for the Dryerator.
    80 Taps for 2018 - Dryer arch got new front and door

Do you have any larger containers you can dump the frozen sap into, i.e., a metal trough? If so, you can use a cattle water tank heater to thaw it out. It helps if you can give it an occasional stir..........My 55 gallon head tank freezes occasionally and I use a heater with success.........

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyamber View Post
    Same here, 70 frozen...

I just leave frozen buckets, if they have any space in them once the the run starts they thaw out pretty well. You will find in a alot of cases there is a core of unfrozen sap in some , that is the cheap man's R/O. I find that mine that I take the unfrozen sap out test at 3.5%.
    That 3.5% number will vary, depending on the ratio of frozen to unfrozen sap in a given sample. If 95% of the sap is liquid, the amount of sugar will be less than, for example, if the sample was only 50% liquid.

+ Reply to Thread