+ Reply to Thread

Thread: to tap or not to tap

Default to tap or not to tap

I'm just wondering if I should tap some new trees, my taps now are about 5 weeks old and not getting much sap, if any at all , it has been pretty cold Temps not getting out of the mid 30 s for a while now. Do you think it would be worth it to tap new trees or wait till it warms up and see if they run again . do you think the season might be nearing the end.i use buckets. Thanks

Too cold yet. I live in New Milford and we are getting sap but not much on high vacuum. Just hang on until the end of the week. These 10 degree nights are slowing things up.

Craig

Chuckwagon,

It has been so cold where you are (North of Scranton) that your trees have been dormant. I'm guessing that they will start to run as soon as it warms up.

I'm also guessing that you will get a very intense run when it does start. We had a year like that here in Kittanning about four years ago. The sap didn't start to run until three weeks later than usual, but during the three weeks that it did run, we got more syrup than in any season since.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Drying rack for hydrometer
    Loves tapping in snow

Ok thanks, I'll hang tight. Hopefully be boiling again next week,

Being that your taps have already been in for 5 weeks it would probably be a good idea to tap some of those different trees and see what happens. It's been cold up here in NH too and I feel that this next warm spell is when our season will finally get here.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Maybe towards end of week I'll tap 2 new trees, it's supposed to be cold all week here, teens at night low 30 s day hopefully a little warm up next week . Thanks again.

Chuckwagon, hang in there a while. We only had 34 degrees here today but with the warm sun they were trying to run. I think when we finally get some warm weather they are going to break loose and run like crazy. I don't think your holes (or mine) are drying up because it has been below freezing for 2 1/2 weeks. If it had been too warm for that amount of time I'd be worried but not with the cold. No use tapping more trees when it is still too cold for them to flow.
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

The up coming weather looks pretty good, I will wait see what these taps do, I guess I can always tap new ones next week if need be.

+ Reply to Thread