+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buna-Nitrile diaphragm off flavor

Default Buna-Nitrile diaphragm off flavor

I just upgraded my filter press hand pump. It came with white silicone diaphragm. The new buna-n (black) diaphragm i got to replace it is suppose to be stronger and last longer. When a got it I noticed it really smelled like rubber, kind of like a cheap snorkel mouth piece. I wound up boiling it for a minute and was shocked at the smell. Being curious I tasted the water and almost threw it up in the sink. Although it made a fine buna tea I am contemplating using it. As a comparison i did boil my old silicone and what a difference, very little smell or taste. I had the same problem with cheap clear braid hose from HD,switching to silicone solved it. Called Bosworth and they never heard of it. Any thoughts, I know it’s food grade but I would not drink that tea.

Quote Originally Posted by cabinetcap View Post
    I just upgraded my filter press hand pump. It came with white silicone diaphragm. The new buna-n (black) diaphragm i got to replace it is suppose to be stronger and last longer. When a got it I noticed it really smelled like rubber, kind of like a cheap snorkel mouth piece. I wound up boiling it for a minute and was shocked at the smell. Being curious I tasted the water and almost threw it up in the sink. Although it made a fine buna tea I am contemplating using it. As a comparison i did boil my old silicone and what a difference, very little smell or taste. I had the same problem with cheap clear braid hose from HD,switching to silicone solved it. Called Bosworth and they never heard of it. Any thoughts, I know it’s food grade but I would not drink that tea.
    Buna N/Nitrile diaphragms aren't made to work at the high temperatures that we need to heat syrup to to filter it. Get a Teflon replacement, they are made to work at filtering temperatures and won't impart any off flavors or odors into your syrup.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I do not believe Bosworth has a Teflon diaphragm for their hand pump. I like the silicone but it can really start to bulge under temp and pressure and wanted a back up. I did inquire about pigment free buna-n and is not available. Thanks for the suggestion, Jay.

+ Reply to Thread