+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3/16" on mechanical vacuum. Sap not moving..

Default 3/16" on mechanical vacuum. Sap not moving..

Got my three 3/16" lines up today (22 taps at 500', 16 taps at 350', 14 taps at 550'), hooked to a 4008 Shurflo pump. The 22 tap line was pulling well but the other two were not. I could see sap / air bubbles in them but were not moving.... Plugged T? Air leak in the manifold? etc?

Thoughts as to why the 2 lines were not pulling?

TIA

Was the sap running well enough to fill the line? Was the pump on long enough to build up pressure? I would look for plugged Tee's and leaks for sure.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

Definitely look for a plugged T. Even without vacuum the line should be running... It's not hard to get a wood chip to plug a T on 3/16 line. I had multiple clogs on new lines last year. I've gotten a lot better at drilling clean holes so I haven't seen any issues this year.
    Road's End Farm - Starting small with no end in sight!

I have something similar going on with a 3/16th gravity line. This line has about 25 taps and about a 20 foot drop. The vac gauge at the top reads 0", and there is no visible movement. The lines are full. The next line over has about the same number of taps, same drop, and is pulling 22". This line was running fine a week ago, even after I added half a dozen taps at the top. This line also had several breaks one day last week. The older tubing separated from a few of the couplings.

What's the best way to find a block? Break the line at various points, starting from the top, and observing the flow? If there is none from the uphill side, I would assume the block would be between me and the top. If it flows, it's between me and the bottom.

We are a bit froze up right now, but there was some movement on the other lines. The trees were definitely flowing in the cold sunshine today.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

Its hardest to find leaks when trees are moving slow. Once flows increase leaks become more obvious.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by Austin351 View Post
    Got my three 3/16" lines up today (22 taps at 500', 16 taps at 350', 14 taps at 550'), hooked to a 4008 Shurflo pump. The 22 tap line was pulling well but the other two were not. I could see sap / air bubbles in them but were not moving.... Plugged T? Air leak in the manifold? etc?

Thoughts as to why the 2 lines were not pulling?

TIA
    I would guess that you have a Leak on the line that is moving good, the sap in your line should run slow and steady , next time it thaws pinch off the line that is flowing good and wait to see if your vacuum comes up or if the other lines start moving.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Austin,

If the trees are not ready they will not flow plain and simple. Mine did the same thing. I had to add a recirc loop to the pump to keep the diaphragms wet and even then I had vacuum with lots of air coming as the trees are just beginning to get rolling.

Ghs,

I am adding bleed valves at my vacuum gauges. Handy for venting and draining the end of the line after rinsing. In this case one could open the bleed and let some air in to see if this initiates flow or not. Alternatively pull the top end tap and use an air tank to give the line a boost then walk it and see if you can spot the floater(s) You may have to snip the line to drain the chunks unless you can pulverize with a mallet with the line against a tree or something. I had a partial block that I ended up draining.
    Last edited by Diesel Pro; 03-19-2018 at 10:40 AM.
    2017- 80 taps on 3/16 natural experimenting with Sap Sucking options
    The original Homemade XLE 4040 RO http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...RO-suggestions on a dolly
    7" short stack filter press w/air diaphragm pump

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Pro View Post
    I am adding bleed valves at my vacuum gauges. Handy for venting and draining the end of the line after rinsing. In this case one could open the bleed and let some air in to see if this initiates flow or not.
    Thanks for the responses. All three lines did flow yesterday but the 2 problem lines were creeping along, like maybe a foot per minute and most of the drops were approx.half full. Perhaps the trees just aren't giving up enough sap yet. This is the first try with a new 4008 pump and only saw about 5" on the long line gauge (don't have them on the other two lines, need to add so I can see what is going on with each line)

I may try that Diesel, it should tell me if I have a blockage when opening up the bleed valves (If no improvement...)

It helps to have a vacuum gauge at the tank hub to see how the pump is drawing as well. To test the line simply without a bleed you could pull the top tap and watch it evacuate. I have my gauge connected to a 2 port end hook and what I find is that liquid gets up in the line and will not drain.

I suspect that you have some trees that just are not ready to give just yet. Hard to be patient, but that is what it takes.
    2017- 80 taps on 3/16 natural experimenting with Sap Sucking options
    The original Homemade XLE 4040 RO http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...RO-suggestions on a dolly
    7" short stack filter press w/air diaphragm pump

+ Reply to Thread