+ Reply to Thread

Thread: a question on pricing syrup

Default a question on pricing syrup

I belong to an archery club, so thought as a fund raiser, I would tap our clubs trees, make syrup, and donate it all back to the club to sell to members. I have done this for about 4 years, and am curious, what do you believe a fair price is for a pint, quart?. Again it is sold as my own personal fund raiser so like girl scout cookies maybe a little high , but that is a fund raiser, and I buy them. We charge $12.50 a pt., $25 qt. I told the board members I would do all the work, tap, gather, cook , finish, bottle, but would not be involved in pricing. We have some very generous members who buy it, to give to their kids, because they are either diabetic, or don't care for it, but then I have the other member, who for a lack of other words are just cheap,,, VERY cheap. I put this in mi. section, as I figured the prices should reflect our area

We had our pricing at $16.00 qt and $6.00 for 12 oz flat in glass, if purchased in quanities for 6 or more. We are probably on the cheaper side, local prices are 20.00 a qt and 8.00 for a 12oz flat. The locals selling at this price sell out right after season.
    Make sure that YOU ABIBIDE by the state of Michigan labeling laws if you sell ANY of your syrup, even to me members. A sale is a sale and the state can be ugly if the labeling law is not followed, ive heard of this effecting fundraiser sales, do to improper labeling then selling it. Proper labels are inexpensive, check out Sugarbush supplies in Mason, MI. they can fix you up with proper labeling, along with their small producer labels that meet the requirements.
    New for 2016 Mason 2x4 XL with AUF blower. No more boiling in stainless steam table trays or pots for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Acres Farm View Post
    We had our pricing at $16.00 qt and $6.00 for 12 oz flat in glass, if purchased in quanities for 6 or more. We are probably on the cheaper side, local prices are 20.00 a qt and 8.00 for a 12oz flat. The locals selling at this price sell out right after season.
    Make sure that YOU ABIBIDE by the state of Michigan labeling laws if you sell ANY of your syrup, even to me members. A sale is a sale and the state can be ugly if the labeling law is not followed, ive heard of this effecting fundraiser sales, do to improper labeling then selling it. Proper labels are inexpensive, check out Sugarbush supplies in Mason, MI. they can fix you up with proper labeling, along with their small producer labels that meet the requirements.
    yep, I did , didn't want a problem

I sell ours at $20 a quart $10 a pint and $5 a half pint. We are near Midland.
    43.6728° N Sanford MI.

2015 100 3/16 taps/buckets. 540 gallons of sap = 12 gallons finished. grill side burner (propane)
    2016 100 3/16 taps/buckets 315 gallons of sap = 11 gallons finished Turkey Fryer/ grill side burner (propane)
    2017 100 3/16 taps /buckets 797 gallons of sap = 8 3/4 gallons finished. Home made brick arch (wood)

$25 For 25oz maple leaf glass bottle, $20 For pint maple leaf bottle.
    2019- RO
    2018- 25 taps made 8 gal syrup.
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

2015- 4 taps 44 gals of sap made 2.25 gal of lite syrup.

My fathers rule of business : "If no one complains you aren't charging enough".
    Greene Maple Farm Sebago, Maine
    7 Generations of Maple Syrup
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...01122259971904

Phillip View Farm
    Sebago, Maine
    30 Highland Cattle
    2 Alpacas, numerous pigs
    Chickens, lots of chickens
    http://www.facebook.com/atgreenetrac...hillipViewFarm

+ Reply to Thread