+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2x 4

Default 2x 4

I am toying with the idea of getting back into syrup making with my SIL. It will only be on a very small scale. If I were to set up a 2 x4 DF and oil fire it what would be the firing rate or how many gallons per hour would be good rate.`
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

With dry wood, split wrist size you should be able to get 15-18 GPH, if you add a preheater, hood and air under fire (AUF) maybe 20-22, and if you also add air over fire (AOF) maybe 25-28 GPH. These are all if you boil at 3/4-1" deep in the pans, if much deeper those numbers won't be achieved.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Then if you build or buy a 100 gph R.O you could process the sap from 200-250 taps.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Maple flats,

I have to disagree with your estimated gph on a 2x4 without flues. With 3/4-1 inch of sap with AUF and preheater and small dry wood we get 11-14 gph firing by a timer. Running it HARD and to its Limits we have been up to 17 gph. It no fun a this point! Im not sure how oil vs. Wood fire is going to effect it.
    Ive heard from a lot of people that dont run 2x4 that you can get around 20 gph, but I haven't heard from anyone that does getting that gph.
    New for 2016 Mason 2x4 XL with AUF blower. No more boiling in stainless steam table trays or pots for me.

Fred said oil fire it

I do believe that the "DF" in Fred's 2x4 DF means drop flue. I don't know why he is asking about firing rates when his post says "oil fire". Fred can you enlighten us?
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Sorry for the confusing post. DF does mean a drop flue and if I am burning # 2 fuel oil how many gallons per hour would be required for a 2 x 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Henderson View Post
    Sorry for the confusing post. DF does mean a drop flue and if I am burning # 2 fuel oil how many gallons per hour would be required for a 2 x 4.
    well we used carlin 101's and 201's and played with a variety of orifice sizes, on our 2x4 drop flue. I will look at the burner that was on it last and see which orifice Is in it. because I do not remember for sure. but I think was 3.8 gal/hr

Quote Originally Posted by prairietapper View Post
    well we used carlin 101's and 201's and played with a variety of orifice sizes, on our 2x4 drop flue. I will look at the burner that was on it last and see which orifice Is in it. because I do not remember for sure. but I think was 3.8 gal/hr

If you happen to think of it would you see what the spray angle is and whether it is solid or hollow nozzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Henderson View Post
    If you happen to think of it would you see what the spray angle is and whether it is solid or hollow nozzle.
    Gladly and I am heading up to the shack now

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast