+ Reply to Thread

Thread: XLE 4040 plumbing - which end?

Default XLE 4040 plumbing - which end?

I know that the center port = permeate and outside port = concentrate, but I'm having trouble understanding the correct "end" to go in and out of my 4040 membrane housing.

1) There's no "gravity" benefit to plumbing the sap in from the top, correct? (I'm assuming the pressure does all the work, not gravity) It's easier in my case to plumb in from the bottom.

2) Do the permeate and concentrate come out of the same end (opposite the end where the sap goes in)? Or does the permeate actually come out the same end as where the sap went in? (or doesn't it matter?) It feels like I"m seeing conflicting info on this. To better illustrate my question:
    Option A: permeate out and concentrate out of the same end (opposite sap in)
    OptionA.JPG

Option B: permeate out the same end as sap in
    OptionB.JPG
    Dan
    -15 years sugaring and counting - hoping to create a tradition my kids will always remember
    -400 taps, mostly buckets (Silver Maples + a few Boxelders just for the heck of it)
    -Custom-built 2x6 evap with Smoky Lake Maple raised flue, boiling in dad's old farm granary, now converted to sugar shack
    -Cobbled-together RO with XLE4040 membrane
    -New in 2021: experimenting with 3/16 tubing & a Shurflo pump.

You can feed the membrane from either end...it doesn't matter. Permeate can exit either end as well, but you would normally plug one end of the permeate tube. Mine feeds sap in the "bottom" and permeate and concentrate come out the "top". Mine is exactly like your option A. The pump does the work, not so much gravity although gravity can be helpful to your pump in terms of priming and feed pressure.

The concentrate has to go in one end and out the other because you want the fluid moving across the membrane. The output end will be restricted by your control valve to increase pressure and allow the membrane to concentrate the sap.

Both of your drawings will work. Do what works best for your plumbing.

I might suggest incorporating a drain if you are vertically mounting. It will make membrane removal a much less messy process. I plan to add one to mine.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Sugarmaker View Post
    I might suggest incorporating a drain if you are vertically mounting. It will make membrane removal a much less messy process. I plan to add one to mine.
    Oh, wow, never thought of that before - that's a great idea!
    Dan
    -15 years sugaring and counting - hoping to create a tradition my kids will always remember
    -400 taps, mostly buckets (Silver Maples + a few Boxelders just for the heck of it)
    -Custom-built 2x6 evap with Smoky Lake Maple raised flue, boiling in dad's old farm granary, now converted to sugar shack
    -Cobbled-together RO with XLE4040 membrane
    -New in 2021: experimenting with 3/16 tubing & a Shurflo pump.

Could someone add a drawing of the second add on membrane? Thanks Vernon

depends if you go series or parallel how you feed the membranes. I have 2 in parallel then goes to 2 in series with a total of 4 membranes. Permeate doesnt care where it all comes out but concentrate if in series does.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

+ Reply to Thread