+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sugar

Default Sugar

I'm thinking of using my next batch of syrup to make sugar.

Would it be enough to filter off the evaporator with a pre-filter and decant a few days for making sugar? (Without a final filtering.)

Would it make sense to draw a slightly heavy syrup off the evaporator?
    2019-2023 40 to 50 taps to get 8 to 10 gallons of syrup
    2018 Built the sugar shack, produced 10.5 gallons (converted some to sugar,& cream). taps varied 45 to 50
    2017 Built 2x4 arch for a divided pan, 8.5 gallons from 30 taps increased to 42 taps during season.
    2016 Produced 3 gallons & 1 quart Syrup, Block arch & 3 buffet pans, 12 taps
    2015 Thought about tapping

Red,
    At the end of each season we turn whatever syrup is still left from the previous season into sugar. Usually a gallon or two. I think both your ideas would work fine, however, if you do draw heavy be sure to make it into sugar before it has a chance to crystallize. Good luck.

Thanks lyford,

I made/worked about a quart and a half into sugar.

A gallon or more will be quite a chore. I'ld probably be wise to do it a quart at a time.

Considering the amount of effort involved I don't think it would be good for the stand mixer.
    2018 Built the sugar shack, produced 10.5 gallons (converted some to sugar,& cream). taps varied 45 to 50
    2017 Built 2x4 arch for a divided pan, 8.5 gallons from 30 taps increased to 42 taps during season.

Did you make any cream (The Elixir Of The Gods)? Heat to 235°F, stir, stir, stir.
    There's no need to decant or wait because the process is just an extension of the syrup making process. You're just removing more water and getting sugar crystals forming. Heavier syrup from the evaporator (≥ 219°F) will help speed up the process..........

I would not make any maple product to sell from unfiltered syrup.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    I would not make any maple product to sell from unfiltered syrup.
    Agreed! Filter the syrup and then proceed . Decanting if done right is a filtering process. so it will work, just might take a couple weeks for the settling to happen, then draw off the syrup above the niter.
    Doesn't matter if its heavy. Your going to 260F to make sugar.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Just using a filter paper without the felt is fine for making sugar... even to sell! If you think about it... more niter will come out of the syrup as it thickens on its way to sugar. You're not going to try to get all of that niter out of the final product. So, give it a basic filtering, but no need to worry if its a little cloudy still. When I'm making sugar to sell, I'll use syrup from a 5 gallon jug. When I get to the bottom of the jug, there is usually some sediment there. Not much in relation to 5 gallons of syrup, but whatever comes out of the jug goes right into my next batch of sugar. There is no difference in the final product.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveg View Post
    Did you make any cream (The Elixir Of The Gods)? Heat to 235°F, stir, stir, stir.
    There's no need to decant or wait because the process is just an extension of the syrup making process. You're just removing more water and getting sugar crystals forming. Heavier syrup from the evaporator (≥ 219°F) will help speed up the process..........
    I did finally get around to making cream from decanted syrup. Turned out good. Seemed easier than making sugar.

+ Reply to Thread