+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sap hauler

Default sap hauler

Last year I went looking for something to use around the yard and gardens. We had planted a bunch more fruit trees and shrubs. So I was using my dads golf cart to haul water. I thought I was shopping for a golf cart with a cargo bed. I was not liking the price of anything I was finding. the market for old golf carts has gotten nuts with all the people using them in towns here now. when I went back to a place I had been 3 times I looked again at a Cushman that scared me off because of the hours. on a whim I hit the key and it purred like a sewing machine! they had told me the hydraulics were broken ( it was not broken the valve was set to divert from the hoist) and it was half of a wore out golf cart. I bought it... 27hp. 1450 lb payload 3 speed with hi low range on the rearend. PTO and goes down the road 18 miles an hour. one fine sap hauler it has turned into! it fits a 200 gal tote in the back. ( the math says 181 gal is the max) of course it would be nicer with baffles in the tote! but if one is paying attention to what they are doing it gets along just fine. ( I have hauled over a ton of clay at a time in it but of course that is stationary weight and does not slosh)
    I am changing how I pump and will use the PTO next year to run a different pump. so I will not need to haul a gen set too.
    Best dang thing I could have gotten in my price range and it was less than half of what I had budgeted!

I take it you don’t have any snow or mud. Here I don’t think I could even get out of my garage without getting it stuck.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

chains and weight! but I do not have big slopes and ravines to contend with. and no we do not get the big snows that others get. an 8 inch snow fall is a huge snow fall for here. and those do not normally happen in the spring.
    I also had to put some new tires on it and went with a little narrower than stock. so only 12inches wide on back
    Last edited by prairietapper; 03-16-2018 at 10:37 AM.

All the savings can go for more trees,taps,equipment, upgrades,ro,tubing. Pretty soon you will need a bigger sap hauler.LOL Vicious circle this hobby is.
    Last edited by dogpatch; 03-16-2018 at 04:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
    All the savings can go for more trees,taps,equipment, upgrades,ro,tubing. Pretty soon you will need a bigger sap hauler.LOL Vicious circle this hobby is.
    there is the 4wd chevy that that has been doing the job to fall back on

I can loan you my sap hauler if you get stuck in the mud.

5F75C4ED-95C9-4239-A3C2-42F3F4272384.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sbedilion View Post

Attachment 18167
    that is fine rig! I would not want to haul a 100 gal five miles in an evening with it, but if it fits the collection route, it is actually kind of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by sbedilion View Post

Attachment 18167
    Oooo now that's a fancy rig! Pedal uphill to gather sap, cruise downhill with it fully loaded!
    All my life I wanted to make my own syrup. Now I'm livin' the dream!

Quote Originally Posted by nasion View Post
    Oooo now that's a fancy rig! Pedal uphill to gather sap, cruise downhill with it fully loaded!
    yup thats the route. uphill empty...ride the brakes downhill. my mainlines are done for the season..so i tapped these for fun. only accessible by bike. 10 gallons per trip. 2 trips a day. im only doing this for a wk.

Heavy Duty, go anywhere and doesn't tear up the bush! I pull a 300 gallon tank on a Sleigh I built it seems to track and run better than a trailer in snow or mud.

http://mapletrader.com/community/ima...815&type=thumb
    Yep, I'd TAP That !!!

325 Buckets
    2x6 Drop Flue Set
    Home Built Arch ~ The Battleship
    16'x26' Sugar Shanty ~ New 2016
    Bombardier SW48 with 300 gallon tank

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast