+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leader 3/16 stubbies popping off

Default Leader 3/16 stubbies popping off

I am thoroughly disgusted with Leaders 3/16 stubbies!!!!! I have went out twice in the last 2 days to find 20 - 30 pushed off the checkvalves each day. What a joke!! The new clear checkvalves bottom out where you can literally have a 1 year old pull them off. Most of the ones I have are attached to the black checkvalves which are a little bit tighter, but not much.

Also had several lines pull apart at the T's. Who was doing the manufacture of such a defective product. Never seen anything so stupid in my life!

Going to go around all 130 of them tonight and pound them in. What a waste of sap and labor! It'll be the same thing again tomorrow if I don't. Obviously whats happening is the trees are still running when it freezes up and guess what gives?
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Call Leader, they may have had a bad batch, maybe they can solve the issue. If you just complain to us, it will not solve the issue.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I run Lapierre stubbys on clear check valves but they are 5/16 and haven't had a issue yet.

This doesn't solve the problem, but I was really happy to see that leader had put out a 3/16 CV tap. I was planning on running stubbies and adapters, but especially after hearing of your experience Mark, I'm glad I didn't!
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by motowbrowne View Post
    This doesn't solve the problem, but I was really happy to see that leader had put out a 3/16 CV tap. I was planning on running stubbies and adapters, but especially after hearing of your experience Mark, I'm glad I didn't!
    I went around and re hammered them all, will see what happens. I used the same procedure when tapping on these as the 5/16" and never have had them pop off. The change from a circular end to a "maple leaf" design is hard on the fingers. The clear CV's are what really scare me going onto these 3/16" stubbies. They bottom out and they are still loose. I only have 7 a few of the clears on to try them.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.

Hard to believe nobody else had any issues with these? They all need to go in the trash!! Still pulling taps and flushing lines. I had these pop out multiple times some of them. After spending numerous trips to the 3/16" patch to repound, reset, what have you this season, now they are very hard to get apart. Two pliars minimum is required, band aids and salve and a Bible to remind me to ask forgiveness for all of the swearing and cussing. After I get done with them, it looks like a bear had gotten a hold of them. Cannot believe they went from a round design to a maple leaf design that isn't anything close to the circular jaws of a pliars! My 10 year old son just shook his head when he was trying to help. I said don't worry, if a 43 year old man can't get them apart, I expect nothing from you. I sent him home. What a joke! Leader will be hearing from me!
    Mark

The question is.... why would anyone use a "stubby"?
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

I use stubbies and antimicrobial adapters for the ease of putting in a new spout each year, and the increased yield.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    The question is.... why would anyone use a "stubby"?
    Not sure where this will lead if I were to answer your question?.........
    Mark

Markcasper- I too have had the same problem with leader's 3/16 tubing. The line would just pull off of taps and tees. Only had it for 2 years. Decided to junk the tubing and keep taps and tees. Very disappointed with leader's tubing.

+ Reply to Thread