+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backyard syrup enthusiasts

Quote Originally Posted by Schroomer View Post
    Hi-De-Ho there neighbors, I loved seeing this thread. First post ever. This is my first season (at the ripe old age of 63) sugaring and I am hooked! Was a little intimidated seeing some of these posts and the impressive collection of harvesting tools. But then I saw posts like these and told myself, just do it. This forum answered so many questions that I took the plunge. I was so clueless I didn't even realize the property I bought here in Exeter, Maine had a few lovely maples tucked between the ash, cedars, and pines. My prep started last fall identifying what I measured for size and good southern sun exposure and put flagging tape so I could find them in winter. I purchased 100 feet of tubing, bought and was gifted some spiles, and bought some food grade buckets and lids from Tractor Supply, and started saving my empty 2.5 gallon water jugs. I watched every video I could find on YouTube, looked at plans for dozens of setups on Pinterest, and ended up with a 2x4 concrete block arch with 3 steam pans. I use a turkey fryer as a preheater. I freakin love this process. I am still amazed. I understand the science, but clearly making great syrup is part art. I have had my ups and downs. My first boil I was reading an article about finishing syrup from a woman in Vermont and she had a picture of her syrup with a thermometer reading 217 (she lived at a 1000 feet or so). My brain knew it was 219, but I finished and bottled at 217. Realized what I did the next day and dumped, reheated, refiltered, and no harm no foul. That first batch was 1.25 gallons from 53 gallons of sap. The second boil was a day from hell.I had 75 gallons of sap and had to boil. The day was clear, 12 degrees, but 30 mph winds all day with wind chills of -4. Lit the fire at 6:45 am and finally finished at 6pm frozen but got it down to 7 gallons that I boiled down to get 1.9 gallons. And my first introduction to niter. When I reheated the sap for bottling, I must have heated the syrup to high and niter precipitated out to a half inch of sugar sand in each bottle. So I decided to dump, heat, filter, and rebottle. What a dumb move that was. I was using muslin and that didn't work. So I must have tried 5 different fabrics. None of them did a great job, and each one absorbed some liquid gold. When I was done (yesterday) I had lost almost two quarts of syrup, and still had some niter in suspension. I learned my lesson and orlon it is for me. I also found out that my digital thermometer was 2 degrees off so don't forget to check that as well. Today will be my last collection for the 2018 season. I am sooo looking forward to the 50 degree and sunny forecast for tomorrow's boil.

Upgrades planned. A redesign of the evaporator to improve the smoke seal around the pans. And if all goes as planned, they'll be a little sugar shack here at Snarky Acres.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

2x4 concrete block arch with three steam trays
    Separate propane fired warming kettle
    2018 12 taps ??? (3.25 gallons with one boil to go)

Attachment 18310
    Great first post! Addiction knows no age limits!

Schroomer, place your filter cloths in plastic bags and put them into the fridge or freezer until the next time you boil sap. Then you gently waft them through the warm sap in your pan and most of the syrup that is stuck in them will go into your next batch. Just be careful to not flip the cloth open and let the niter fall in with it. Once that's done then clean out your filter cloths in the sink so that you are ready for the next filtering. When bottling I even swish out the pot with a little water and save that for the next batch too. I don't want to waste a drop!

Welcome to the forum!
    ~ Karen ~

2012 - 10 taps, 1 turkey fryer - 169.5L sap 4.2 L syrup
    2013 - 23 taps, 2 turkey fryers - 748.5 L sap 17.56 L syrup

2014 - 22 taps, 509 L sap 12.5 L syrup
    2015 - 28 taps, 1093.75 L sap 25.1 L syrup
    2016 - 25 taps, 1223.5 L sap 28.25 L syrup
    2017 - 21 taps, 518.5 L sap 12.7 L syrup
    2018 - 28 taps, 2 turkey fryers & Denali 3 burner propane stove - 798L sap 16.9 L syrup
    2019 - 28 taps, 1409.5L sap 40.12L syrup

Sugar, Norway, Manitoba, Silver and Freeman Maples

Looks like I've got one more boil to do with sap running good this week. Another day of boiling = about another gallon of syrup.
    I can taste those batches of Maple Baked Beans now.
    With temps in the 50s this week the red maples will start showing some color and so will the syrup.

toured three sugar shacks this past sunday in Sumner, Buckfield, and Hebron. got som good feedback, some great syrup, and 2 out of 3 maplers agree my backyard stuff isn't bad.

I'll be doing more regular pan cleaning going forward.
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

Quote Originally Posted by Schroomer View Post
    Hi-De-Ho there neighbors, I loved seeing this thread. First post ever. This is my first season (at the ripe old age of 63) sugaring and I am hooked! Was a little intimidated seeing some of these posts and the impressive collection of harvesting tools. But then I saw posts like these and told myself, just do it. This forum answered so many questions that I took the plunge. I was so clueless I didn't even realize the property I bought here in Exeter, Maine had a few lovely maples tucked between the ash, cedars, and pines. My prep started last fall identifying what I measured for size and good southern sun exposure and put flagging tape so I could find them in winter. I purchased 100 feet of tubing, bought and was gifted some spiles, and bought some food grade buckets and lids from Tractor Supply, and started saving my empty 2.5 gallon water jugs. I watched every video I could find on YouTube, looked at plans for dozens of setups on Pinterest, and ended up with a 2x4 concrete block arch with 3 steam pans. I use a turkey fryer as a preheater. I freakin love this process. I am still amazed. I understand the science, but clearly making great syrup is part art. I have had my ups and downs. My first boil I was reading an article about finishing syrup from a woman in Vermont and she had a picture of her syrup with a thermometer reading 217 (she lived at a 1000 feet or so). My brain knew it was 219, but I finished and bottled at 217. Realized what I did the next day and dumped, reheated, refiltered, and no harm no foul. That first batch was 1.25 gallons from 53 gallons of sap. The second boil was a day from hell.I had 75 gallons of sap and had to boil. The day was clear, 12 degrees, but 30 mph winds all day with wind chills of -4. Lit the fire at 6:45 am and finally finished at 6pm frozen but got it down to 7 gallons that I boiled down to get 1.9 gallons. And my first introduction to niter. When I reheated the sap for bottling, I must have heated the syrup to high and niter precipitated out to a half inch of sugar sand in each bottle. So I decided to dump, heat, filter, and rebottle. What a dumb move that was. I was using muslin and that didn't work. So I must have tried 5 different fabrics. None of them did a great job, and each one absorbed some liquid gold. When I was done (yesterday) I had lost almost two quarts of syrup, and still had some niter in suspension. I learned my lesson and orlon it is for me. I also found out that my digital thermometer was 2 degrees off so don't forget to check that as well. Today will be my last collection for the 2018 season. I am sooo looking forward to the 50 degree and sunny forecast for tomorrow's boil.

Upgrades planned. A redesign of the evaporator to improve the smoke seal around the pans. And if all goes as planned, they'll be a little sugar shack here at Snarky Acres.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

2x4 concrete block arch with three steam trays
    Separate propane fired warming kettle
    2018 12 taps ??? (3.25 gallons with one boil to go)

Attachment 18310
    Schroomer has hit the philosophy on the head- just get involved and do it. Though there is a ton of information available from many sources, it is easy to be overwhelmed with doing things "right" and then suffering from analysis paralysis. This is only my third season, and each year there are changes and modifications I see for the next season. How boring would it be anyway if everything went right! A super book I came across two years ago on mapling was The Maple Sugar Bookby Helen and Scott Nearing, the pioneer homesteading couple of fame. They spent many years in Vermont with a big sugar bush before moving to Maine in 1950. This book, from the 40's, is a superb history of sugaring from the colonial period to their present and a lot of old fashioned how to. I read it over every winter to get in the sugaring mode.

This forum is a great opportunity to share ideas and problem solve. Karen had a great idea on saving the syrup trapped in nitre/fabric. That's a new one I'll try. Help, support, and commradery are a continuing necessity!

Schroomer-i lived Hermon for 20 years, not far from you. Exeter is a nice area. It appears that you, Woodsy, and I all have similar boiling systems. My wife and I also struggle with finishing to get a well oiled system. We're getting closer each time we boil, so we've had our messes too.

Grand finale this weekend!! 60 gallons to boil! My daughter, new to
    mapling this season, discovered the joy of sap instead of water for coffee. I make sap tea, and use it for oatmeal. She suggested freezing a few gallons in quart bags to use it all year. I think that is another great idea!
    Two 2x4 concrete block arches with three steam trays each
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

Mostly sugar maples, a few reds on 200 year old homestead

11* F this morning. Probably have blocks of sap storage instead of liquid gallons.
    Backyard Sugarin' since 1991
    Concrete block wood burner
    24 taps on gallon jugs
    2' x 2' x 6" SS pan
    5 gal. SS steamer pan for preheating
    89 Arctic Cat Panther sap hauler

Making a few gallons syrup most years.
    Maple Baked Beans
    Maple Oat Sourdough Bread
    Maple Wine

Great idea, thank you. I will adopt this one starting tomorrow with my final finishing boil of the season. OK, truth be told, I just put two 5 gallon buckets in the freezer for some summer evening I get the urge.

Final boil today with 40 gals sap on hand. Pulled taps last night. Still running but the pantry is full.
    My finger tips are blackened and coarse like sandpaper. Lost 4 lbs since starting Mar 1.
    Its been a good season overall.
    2nd year with the new setup on blocks and happy with that.
    My investment for the new setup is now paid for after 2 years so next year is free syrup.
    Made some new friends at the shack, chippy the chipmunk and red the squirrel plus the chickadees and finches at the feeder.
    P1080001.jpgP1080008.jpgP1070997.jpg
    Last edited by woodsy; 03-28-2018 at 04:56 PM.
    Backyard Sugarin' since 1991
    Concrete block wood burner
    24 taps on gallon jugs
    2' x 2' x 6" SS pan
    5 gal. SS steamer pan for preheating
    89 Arctic Cat Panther sap hauler

Making a few gallons syrup most years.
    Maple Baked Beans
    Maple Oat Sourdough Bread
    Maple Wine

Surprisingly running fairly well today even with no freeze last night, central Mainers should be making syrup until mid April if they choose.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Final boil today with 40 gals sap on hand. Pulled taps last night. Still running but the pantry is full.
    My finger tips are blackened and coarse like sandpaper. Lost 4 lbs since starting Mar 1.
    Its been a good season overall.
    2nd year with the new setup on blocks and happy with that.
    My investment for the new setup is now paid for after 2 years so next year is free syrup.
    Made some new friends at the shack, chippy the chipmunk and red the squirrel plus the chickadees and finches at the feeder.
    Attachment 18366Attachment 18367Attachment 18368
    Glad your season went well and your little friends enjoyed your company. We have 15 resident gray squirrels, "little guy" the chipmunk, and "doobsy" the red squirrel, along with myriad birds, that frequent our feeders daily providing endless entertainment throughout the day. Got to love the country.

Slowly I see the season drawing to a close. Daily trees are falling out of rotation as sap flow drops off and taps are pulled. My wife and I gathered our last bucket today to bring our storage total to 65 gallons for Saturday's boil. I think I'll pick the highest brix 55 gallons to boil. There are still 5 trees left running, so I'll collect and freeze a few gallons in quart bags for tea, oatmeal, and a cold summer drink. By the end of the weekend they'll all be pulled, washed, and put away till next season. I have been keeping detailed records of daily sap flow per tree that I will review when all is done.

Does anyone have a suggestion(s) for cleaning the black sugar coating off stainless steel pans? This is the stuff that, at least for me, accumulates as the boil wears on, particularly near the end from the steam. I let them soak overnight and use a fine sandpaper which works OK, but would love something requiring less elbow grease. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Two 2x4 concrete block arches with three steam trays each
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

Mostly sugar maples, a few reds on 200 year old homestead

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast