+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ok, I'm just going to say it...

My first year with 5/16 on gravity I bought a used stainless steel vat with a fitting in the bottom of one end. My calculations figured it held about 85 gallons. I put it in the snow at a low spot and leveled it with pieces of wood. I fashioned a tent over it with a blue tarp to keep the rain and snow out. I used a baitwell plug from the inside to keep sap out of the fitting to prevent frozen sap from cracking the elbow. I tied a stainless steel wire to the handle of the baitwell plug so I wouldn't have to reach into the sap to pull the plug and then I hooked the wire to the support for the tarp. One nice warm day we had a good run and the vat should have been full of sap but the snow had melted from under the vat putting tension on the wire and pulled the plug. I lost it all.

I forgot to close the valve on the opposite side of the flue pan. Ran 150 gallon of 12% on the floor. I was watching the float box and couldn’t figure out why it wasn’t rising. I finally notice my feet were wet!
    3500 taps, vacuum.

So I was just reading this thread two days ago, and thinking to myself (since this is only my third season), "When am I going to dump something?" TA-DA!!! The answer is "Today!" Well, not quite just sap, but I had gotten done with a boil and had about a half gallon in my draw-off pot (as a hobbyist my draws are pretty small)....and it dumped over due to a bone-head maneuver. Oh well, had to happen sometime, right?! I'm mostly irked at the lost time and the stick floor than anything else! Haha. ;-)
    -Scott
    2017: Found a new addiction/hobby!: 6 taps, Coleman stove/turkey fryer, graduated to barrel arch, 1.75 gal
    2018: Increased efficiency - 22 taps on 3/16 gravity vac, 10 buckets, homemade extended barrel arch w/ firebrick, warming pan, 20X30 baffled pan, small home-built RO, 11.5 gal
    2019: Same as above now with AUF, home-built float pan, gas sap pump, fewer fire brick but more insulation, maybe a few more taps if the wife lets me. ;-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123