+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok, I'm just going to say it...

Harvard, MA

That was one of the funnier reads on the forum in a while...LOL. Last night i finished pumping from my pickup to my head tank, disconnected fitting on the hose to my head tank, and went to put things away in my pickup, when i heard a gushing sound and looked back, the hose in my head tank had gotten a little vacuum from disconnecting and was dump sap from head tank onto the ground ... thankfully only lost maybe 10 gallons but in the process of stopping the flow I got cooled off with a nice sap shower.
    Still a newbie after 2 seasons.
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons of syrup finished inside on the stove, on a 2x3 steel arch with flat pan, outdoor boiling.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48 Mini-Pro, 120 SS tank, loaned by a friend. Makeshift 8x8 sugar shack attached to a shed with a plywood roof
    2018: 75 taps if i can convince my neighbors to let me tap their trees with tubing

Oneida NY

I did that once or twice, now I have an overflow line that feeds back to one of my sap tanks. If the head tank gets full the excess goes to that sap tank.
    Dave Klish about 1320 taps in '15, down to about 700 in '16, up to 850 for 2018?
    2012 Mahindra 36 HP 4x4/ loader/cab/heat/AC:-)
    added a gooseneck equipment trailer and F350 to tow it to haul more sap
    3x8 raised flue evaporator
    250 GPH converted to electric, RO by Ray Gingerich
    6.32 KW solar system, 1.48KW is battery backed up, all net metered

Albion PA

I have run sap from the head tanks down the drain by not closing the cleaning drain. Felt pretty foolish. I try to double check all valves now. Its bound to happen, too many valves says the wife!
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    640 ish roadside taps
    3x10 King, WRU & preheater, AOF [TRS] and AUF
    SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One hives of bees
    One Golden named Maggie Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors

Orford Quebec

Just a side note to prevent a trip to the ER. The ends of hose clamps are very sharp and from now on all are taped with electrical tape.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12