+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok, I'm just going to say it...

That was one of the funnier reads on the forum in a while...LOL. Last night i finished pumping from my pickup to my head tank, disconnected fitting on the hose to my head tank, and went to put things away in my pickup, when i heard a gushing sound and looked back, the hose in my head tank had gotten a little vacuum from disconnecting and was dump sap from head tank onto the ground ... thankfully only lost maybe 10 gallons but in the process of stopping the flow I got cooled off with a nice sap shower.
    Still a newbie after 2 seasons.
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons of syrup finished inside on the stove, on a 2x3 steel arch with flat pan, outdoor boiling.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48 Mini-Pro, 120 SS tank, loaned by a friend. Makeshift 8x8 sugar shack attached to a shed with a plywood roof
    2018: 75 taps if i can convince my neighbors to let me tap their trees with tubing

I did that once or twice, now I have an overflow line that feeds back to one of my sap tanks. If the head tank gets full the excess goes to that sap tank.
    Dave Klish about 1320 taps in '15, down to about 700 in '16, up to 850 for 2018?
    2012 Mahindra 36 HP 4x4/ loader/cab/heat/AC:-)
    added a gooseneck equipment trailer and F350 to tow it to haul more sap
    3x8 raised flue evaporator
    250 GPH converted to electric, RO by Ray Gingerich
    6.32 KW solar system, 1.48KW is battery backed up, all net metered
    http://s1041.photobucket.com/albums/...anssugarhouse/

I have run sap from the head tanks down the drain by not closing the cleaning drain. Felt pretty foolish. I try to double check all valves now. Its bound to happen, too many valves says the wife!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    640 ish roadside taps
    3x10 King, WRU & preheater, AOF [TRS] and AUF
    SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One hives of bees
    One Golden named Maggie Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors

www.mapleandhoney.com

Just a side note to prevent a trip to the ER. The ends of hose clamps are very sharp and from now on all are taped with electrical tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweegs View Post
    Nah, you want a rookie mistake? I can show you how to make rookie mistakes.

I built a closet for the RO.
    The head tank sits atop the closet.
    The control panel for the RO is built in to the closet and directly below the head tank.

My wife overflowed the tank once, spilling 8% concentrate over all of the electronic controls.
    Now this was just a small display and a few switches, all low voltage stuff (high voltage is in an enclosed panel on the opposite wall), so nothing spectacular happened.
    The display went poof, and I’m here to tell you how well 8% can gum up a switch. Every one of them had to be replaced.

Solved the problem by first enclosing the control panel and then adding an upper level float on the tank.
    The float controls a relay that will remove power from the pump contactor should the tank level get too high.
    Well, you just made your 777th post to MapleTrader, so your luck is going to be all "GOOD" from now on.

Most producers have sent concentrate down the drain by accident, have started a filter press without making sure it's seated properly or have put 550 gallons of sap into a 500 gallon tank! Those who haven't are either new or liars!
    4,600 Taps on vacuum - More to come when Time & Energy Permit
    9,400 gallons storage in Zero and Open Top Tanks
    600 GPH CDL RO - NEW for 2015 a 2nd 600 GPH tower!!!
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg98/ennismaple/
    www.ennismaple.com

I fil my 55 gal head tank from an 275 gal IBC tote. There could never be a problem with that, could there?
    Gary
    Zena Crossroads
    42˚ 00' 24" N

Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014
    +-150* taps on 3/16 (25 on Lunchbox Vac/Releaser) *more like 100+- for 2018

12x14 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x14 shed roof for storage - still not completed, but perhaps in my lifetime
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on home built arch (cast concrete) with AUF/AOF/steam hood/preheater
    New for 2018 - 5.1 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter/Steam Bottler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12