+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, I'm just going to say it...

That was one of the funnier reads on the forum in a while...LOL. Last night i finished pumping from my pickup to my head tank, disconnected fitting on the hose to my head tank, and went to put things away in my pickup, when i heard a gushing sound and looked back, the hose in my head tank had gotten a little vacuum from disconnecting and was dump sap from head tank onto the ground ... thankfully only lost maybe 10 gallons but in the process of stopping the flow I got cooled off with a nice sap shower.
    2022 is season 7
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons on a borrowed 2x3.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48.
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons
    2019: 100 taps. 22 gallons. Added a small RO 50 gph.
    2020: 145 taps, 30 gallons, sold half. Murphy cup is a great addition.
    2021: tapped Feb 23, 150 taps, 35 gallons.
    2022: 200 taps. I lost 50, added 100. Having fun but short season?

I did that once or twice, now I have an overflow line that feeds back to one of my sap tanks. If the head tank gets full the excess goes to that sap tank.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have run sap from the head tanks down the drain by not closing the cleaning drain. Felt pretty foolish. I try to double check all valves now. Its bound to happen, too many valves says the wife!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Just a side note to prevent a trip to the ER. The ends of hose clamps are very sharp and from now on all are taped with electrical tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweegs View Post
    Nah, you want a rookie mistake? I can show you how to make rookie mistakes.

I built a closet for the RO.
    The head tank sits atop the closet.
    The control panel for the RO is built in to the closet and directly below the head tank.

My wife overflowed the tank once, spilling 8% concentrate over all of the electronic controls.
    Now this was just a small display and a few switches, all low voltage stuff (high voltage is in an enclosed panel on the opposite wall), so nothing spectacular happened.
    The display went poof, and I’m here to tell you how well 8% can gum up a switch. Every one of them had to be replaced.

Solved the problem by first enclosing the control panel and then adding an upper level float on the tank.
    The float controls a relay that will remove power from the pump contactor should the tank level get too high.
    Well, you just made your 777th post to MapleTrader, so your luck is going to be all "GOOD" from now on.

Most producers have sent concentrate down the drain by accident, have started a filter press without making sure it's seated properly or have put 550 gallons of sap into a 500 gallon tank! Those who haven't are either new or liars!
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

I fil my 55 gal head tank from an 275 gal IBC tote. There could never be a problem with that, could there?
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

I solved THAT problem by putting an overflow on my head tank. When it's full it drops noisily into one of the other tanks.

Two years ago I backed my truck to my holding tank that had about 240 gallons of sap in it. I notice the vacuum was low at the releaser so I started the sump pump up to fill the truck tank and went into the woods to investigate. When I got back both tanks were empty as I forgot to shut the ball valve in the truck tank. I have also accidentally opened the wrong valves in my RO and dumped 100 gallons of 8 percent down the drain. I'm planning a no F-up season this year though.
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

I know its a year old, but just browsing and had to look! Reminds me of past Friday when I put 440 gallons of sap into a 400 gallon tank! Wouldnt have been bad it out side but this was above the kitchen area! I need to be more careful, go slower, pay more attention, or just plain think a little more! What a mess!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 02-17-2019 at 11:06 AM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast