+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Natural vacuum pressure

Quote Originally Posted by BSD View Post
    the newest set i put out this season i put 33 on 2 lines. and i've got a third line which i want to put only 25 on and see if there is a difference. i suspect it comes down to total linear ft and tree spacing. my theory is that if there are still lots of air-bubbles in the lines then there is room for more taps. my 33 tap runs are nearly solid streams when they hit the tank.

My older woods i have 23-27 tap averages on those lines. and they have a good mix of bubbles/solid.
    Your theory is wrong. The bubbles (as long as you have no leaks) are gas that comes out of the tree. That is how a maple tree protects it's cells when it freezes, as the water expands the gas (carbon dioxide) contracts thus protecting the tree from damage.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Air bubbles are normal especially when it gets colder. My two lines that are tucked back in the woods will have lots of bubbles until it really warms up. Yesterday two lines were solid no bubbles at all and the other two were half and half. Walked them both and found no leaks just to be sure. Never hurts to go for a walk and check the lines when in doubt.
    2' x 3' backyard evaporator with homemade steam hood
    38.5 gallons produced in 2022
    120 taps all on 3/16" tubing
    4" x 40" homemade RO built for 2023
    https://sites.google.com/view/mattat...aplesyrup/home

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12