+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New molds

Default New molds

Trying my hand at candy again,got some new molds, boiled in water and baking soda as directed, hope the candy doesn't take on the silicone taste, never used molds before. Boiled sap to 245,let cool to 190 stirred and poured in molds, it's cooling as I'm writing this, I did try some from the bottom of pot and it did taste good so I will know if these molds mess up the flavor , I will let you know.

I think you'll really enjoy the silicone molds. You cleaned them the right way, so you won't taste the silicone. If you end up getting any pieces that are broken or you are not satisfied with, throw them in the freezer and they go into the next batch. Making confections can be stressful at first, but eventually you find out how forgiving it is.

Enjoy.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Just tasted one and as you said taste great no silicone taste,came out of mold easily ,I did spray a little pam on them do you think that is necessary or will they come easily without it.some of them do have a whitish cloud in them is this caused by Temps or not stirring enough . Thanks

Should not need pam. If these are the gray molds usually used to make maple candy they are rubber not silicone.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I don't use any kind of spray. They just pop out with a little push from below. The white streak is the uneven cooling. I have a candy machine and I get it most when I get out of a rhythm and I get uneven amounts of candy in the trough and uneven pours. You are doing it all by hand, so consistency is just a little trickier for you. It's no big deal. They are still delicious and I've never had anyone complain. In fact my family always mills about asking for any broken or bad pieces.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Ok thanks, these molds are gray, maple leaf shape, next time I will try without spray, hopefully next week I will have more sap been pretty cold here not running to good.thanks for info. Pretty new to this so any tips are welcome. Thanks again

Another question, I plan on giving these to family members for Easter, will these hold up in the fridge or should I freeze them. If frozen how will they be when I thaw them out.not sure if freezing will ruin them. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuckwagon View Post
    Another question, I plan on giving these to family members for Easter, will these hold up in the fridge or should I freeze them. If frozen how will they be when I thaw them out.not sure if freezing will ruin them. Thanks
    Should be fine in fridge till Easter. Freezing will not hurt them. That is how we store ours.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Ok thanks, for future reference how do I freeze them do I just put in zip loc bags or will they stick together

I store candy in the freezer in ziplocs. When you remove them from the freezer, immediately place them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and put them in a cool dark place. They absorb a little moisture in the freezer, and letting them sit to the open air will allow them to dry a little. package them up when they harden down.
    2 1/2 x8 Lapierre Waterloo-Small (oil fired)
    Leader Steamaway
    1200 gph Lapierre RO
    1800 taps
    http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...ks/Sugarhouse/

Mike Christian
    505 Main St. Orwell, Vt.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast