+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Apple maple syrup

Default Apple maple syrup

I was thinking of experimenting with Apple maple syrup. I was going to set aside a gallon of maple syrup and get 5 gallons or so of Apple cider or juice and boil it down together to the right density and bottle it with a cinnamon stick. Anyone ever try this and if so what's a good ratio of juice to syrup?

Never tried that, but I'll say, by golly it sure sounds like it could be real tasty!!!! Would like to know what your conclusion is if you decide to give this a try.
    1999 30 taps, mom's stove, 2 gallons of something like syrup
    2000-02 30 taps, helped friends, more stove boiling, got maple addicted
    2003-06 50 buckets, gathered with my horses, boiled on shares, more stove boiling, 2nd place amateur syrup @ county fair
    2007-16 Worked with buddy that makes lots of syrup, got educated
    2017 100 buckets, 2x6 homebuilt evaporator, propane finisher. 20 gallons
    2018 115 buckets, new wood/sap wagon, two cage totes

How did it work?
    I am thinking since the aroma of cider or juice is key, then maybe boil the syrup into sugar temp, then add the apple juice. This way the apple boils less, leaving more intense flavor. I may experiment with that or with blueberries.
    2014 Year 1, 1 large front yard shade tree with 3 taps - 3 quarts of the best syrup I ever had.
    2015 - Convince In-laws and Neighbors, bought F-150 and bricks. 20 taps, 4 gallons in pretty bottles.
    2016 -- More friends and neighbors, should add another 20 +, built temporary shelter as sugar shack. F150 traded for Ram 2500. Big Blue new barrels for 116 gal storage. 8 gallons Syrup.
    2017 - Mortared Brick Arch with serving pans, no make that an 18 x 48 CDL divided flat pan, 48 taps.

+ Reply to Thread