+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In-ground sap storage

Default In-ground sap storage

After my 275 gallon tote froze stiff last year, I decided to go in-ground for sap storage. The 55-gallon barrels are food-grade (grape juice), but I decided to line them with food-grade 55-gallon drum liners. The liners are 4 mil. A roll of 50 was just over $80 through Amazon. $8 a year I can live with, especially knowing I'll never need to clean ... just pull the bags and toss each year. I've rigged up a bilge pump on the end of a plastic broom handle, attached to food-grade hose to pump them out on boil day. The "cone" covers were relatively cheap too ... about $7 a piece, and should eliminate water build up on the lids. Had someone with a mini-excavator come and dig me a trench, then I filled the bottom of it with 4" of pea gravel. I'm hoping this will keep my sap near freezing, without freezing until boil day. NW Wisconsin, ground is always filled with frost this time of year. Here's a picture from last fall:

z5nytff.jpg

Thoughts? I'll pop a lid sometime this week, put in a liner and start dumping in sap. Still 2' + of snow in the woods, but I got 27 out of 50 trees tapped yesterday, until my heel strap on a snowshoe broke. I'll tap the rest when the snow goes down a little.
    Last edited by Smeds; 03-12-2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spell-check

I am looking forward to seeing any responses on this. I have my own backhoe and could easily do something similar to what you did. I have no power so I am limited for options to keep my sap cool.

I'd be interested as well although it would be tough digging around here.

Usually before I have enough sap to start boiling, it freezes in the storage bins and takes *forever* to thaw. Last year I ended up dragging garbage bin size barrels full of frozen sap into the house to try to get them to start to thaw.
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

Update ... sap flowing slowly, but finally filled one drum after 3 weeks of small collections. Boiled today, got just over a gallon of golden syrup. Was shocked at how light, but hydrometer said it was done. Ground storage is working great! Bonus, after my bilge pump bottomed out, I could just pull the bag and cut a corner off to get the last 1.5 gallons of sap.
    Can’t complain about the new setup. 8D4EC81C-E53F-4361-A5D1-C1D13997F5D3.jpg
    Last edited by Smeds; 04-02-2018 at 07:38 AM. Reason: bilge, not bulge

Nice indeed. Keep us posted as the temperatures climb.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Hey Smeds
    I think your in-ground storage idea is awesome... Especially with the liners... I think I might consider doing this too.. Big question though... Are you worried about the barrels floating when empty? (popping out of the ground??)..
    I fear that, with the high water table in my area, this would happen... I think I might need to devise some sort of "anchor" system. Tying the barrels to concrete or something?? Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by wmick View Post
    Hey Smeds
    I think your in-ground storage idea is awesome... Especially with the liners... I think I might consider doing this too.. Big question though... Are you worried about the barrels floating when empty? (popping out of the ground??)..
    I fear that, with the high water table in my area, this would happen... I think I might need to devise some sort of "anchor" system. Tying the barrels to concrete or something?? Any thoughts?
    I didn't consider that last fall ... but I buried them on a crown (4-wheeler trail) through the woods. I'm hoping the 4" of pea gravel aids in drainage, plus our soil drains fairly well. This summer I may dig in a length of drain pipe if there appears to be too much water. That being said, they're really packed in ... I would be shocked if they popped out of the ground at all. If you're burying in low areas ... your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Nice indeed. Keep us posted as the temperatures climb.
    I think I'm going to freeze little 2 gallon bucket sapsicles, and add 1-2 per barrel when the temps climb. Saturday we had temps dip down near zero. I was afraid of the freezing when I popped the cover Sunday morning to start prepping for the 1st boil, but it was barely skimmed over with ice. My old 275 gallon tote would have been locked tight! Sap was still fairly clear, after 3 weeks. That's a win so far.

Quote Originally Posted by wmick View Post
    Hey Smeds
    I can see how a high water table could wreak havoc. One way around this might be to use material (dirt or otherwise) above ground instead of digging....similar to a bermed house. However, bermed houses are exposed on at least one side. So, it would be better to completely bury your container inside a reasonable amount of mass (both to cool and insulate the container). A friend with a dump truck and a load of fill could be handy.

Has anyone tried this?

It’s been mid 50’s low 60’s since last Wednesday. A little one gallon painters bucket has been making an ice cube each night. One per drum lasts a day or two. Sap was 37 degrees this AM when I started. This has been exceeding expectations. Last boil today, about 100 gallons. Pretty slow year, but can’t be more impressed with the barrels in the ground idea. 654628FA-00E0-4A6D-A8C3-F10400C186C1.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast