+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: western mass 2018

.... its been slow the last few days sap wise for me, how the rest of you making out??
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

Quote Originally Posted by WESTMAPLES View Post
    .... its been slow the last few days sap wise for me, how the rest of you making out??
    Same here in Savoy. I tried to take my snowmobile out on my trails today to start packing down the snow so when it does run I can actually collect it. Went good for a while...then I got it buried twice. The second time I was so disgusted from having dug the dang thing out once only to bury it again that I just left it out in he woods and snowshoed home. Still too much snow. I'll dig the machine out again tomorrow and hope for a good run this week.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

Where I help out we boiled for the first time today in over a week. First tank of concentrate yeilded a stong tasting AR then once we started on the second tank the foam got lighter but went wild almost every time the rig was fired.That sap was brought in today and much to our amazement it yielded of a drum plus of the most wonderfully flavored golden delicate syrup...go figure it's March 24! Ran a little slow today,thermometer said it was warm but wind was cold all day.Looks like some good weather for the first part of the week,still snow in the woods but not like in the high country.

One of the best runs we have had all year this past week! My 3/16" run was insane and in just two days has given up over 30 gallons of sap for the small 12 tree run

Big boil today!
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

Default back in business after long cold snap

Started to run good in the last few days after not seeing much of a drop since the nor-Easters begining around March 6. Looking at my % sugar log based on sap boiled -> syrup made (stopped trusting my instruments, hydrometer markings too hard to read, refractometer calibrated and used right, always higher than actual yeild), sap started in Feb at 1.6, dropped to 1.1 in first week of March and now back to around 1.5% after cold snap. Still making gold. Looks like a busy week here next week.
    50 taps ave. half on buckets half on 3/16
    2x3 pan on fire brick / fieldstone arch
    started 2012

Quote Originally Posted by GV2 View Post
    Looks like a busy week here next week.
    Agree. My sap just started to flow again yesterday for the first time since that first Nor'easter a few weeks ago. Looks like things are setting up to be a really good week.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

The saps flowing nice but noticing that the sap isn't tasting sweet anymore. Has more of an earthy taste. Boiling today with fingers crossed.

Finished 2 1/2 gallons last night of delicious rich amber syrup........what I collected yesterday was all 2%
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn

Last big boil for me today buckets stopped buds are showing had a great season! Even the tubing has slowed down the last couple days! Had a blast this season for sure

Last finishing run tonight. Pulled the buckets yesterday afternoon. Trees shut down. Even the 3/16" run isn't doing squat. Time to clean up the gear and tally up our yield, and get ready for turkey season

Had a blast this year for sure. Buds are out.....I think spring is here.

Have a great off season everyone. It's been a blast!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast