+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: western mass 2018

Hybrid View

Default western mass 2018

its been awfully quiet around here, how is it going for everyone ?? i can`t be the only one wondering how others are doing, it has been a different season once again, sap flows and sugar content is all over the place, but thats sugarin` . ive talked with a few locals producers i know and they all seem to think everyone else is doing better than themselves ..... lets here what ya`ll have to say .
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

Had a hard run during that warm up 2 weeks ago boiled off what we had. After the last storm things slowed down quite a bit. Collected and boiled off 55 or so gallons yesterday of 2% Have 2 gallons of finished syrup to bottle tonight everything in the woods is mostly dry Looking forward we may get a few warm days. Weekend high for us was 39 degrees not much happened some drips late afternoon that's about it
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

Haven’t been flooded with sap yet, but have been collecting 70-120 gallons of sap daily when the temps are right. Evaporator is real sweet and ready to push out more syrup.
    -200+ taps
    - Sugar shack with wood pecker holes
    -2x6 Leader Patriot
    -4x4 Honda quad to go "rippin on"

-"Sapping ain't easy"

My neghbors here in north central MA are getting real dark syrup. Is that the case everywhere? I don't boil amymore.

My problem now is that I have no way of getting my sap if/when it begins to flow again. There is just too much snow for my snowmobile. I either need to get out with my snowshoes and start packing down all my access trails or hope for a good rain to condense down the 4' of powder we've gotten in the past 10 days.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

I'm in the NW corner at 2,000 ft. and like WESTMAPLES I had a hard run 2 or 3 weeks ago. Couldn't keep up with the sap, and I ended up making more syrup than I've even made that early in the season. I don't even normally tap until the 1st week of March on average. We now have 48" of new snow and another foot or so coming tomorrow...yeah, things have grinded to a halt. Buckets that I hung when the grass was showing are now just about buried as they hang on the tree. It's going to get good again though. Once all this snow melts and the temps. warm I am ready for another hard run.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

our first boil was 2/21. We are almost at half a crop. Sugar has been 1.5 to 1.8. Not much lite syrup
    Paul & Serena
    Sugaring for over 50 years.
    4000+ taps on vacuum
    4 Airtech Vacuum Pumps
    4 X 12 Force 5 with D&G Pans
    Lapierre 1200 GPH RO

www.paulssugarhouse.com

that last snow was something else everybody panicked, got 12in in my area of westfield and figured i would go out an open my bush at 620+ ft with dozer thinking there would be 18 in plus.... nope got there and was only about 6 in of snow on the ground go figure that. sap is coming in slow still but it gives me time to rework little things that have overlooked while trying to move forward, its only a matter of time right... before the sap starts pouring , then it will be the " what day is it.... " game till it slows
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

We really got hit hard up our way. Thought that it would shut us down for awhile.....WRONG!! Stopped this morning and our totes which are burried were 3/4 full.......buckets hardly anything.........so hard to predict.
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn

Lots snow in the woods trees didn't do much this week but I grabbed 30 gallons or so
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast