+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maiden Voyage Deer Run Maple 125 Exp

Default Maiden Voyage Deer Run Maple 125 Exp

Well Saturday we ran our RO unit for the first time. Thank you "Maple Flats" for the reprint on the manual.

Although there is a manual there isn't much to tell you what to look for when running the unit. Here is what I did,............ so please feel free to comment:

1.) We had some (180 gal) frozen sap that tested at 3% sugar. I started the RO and saw that my concentrate tank was filling too quickly so I ran my pressure up on the filter. We tested the concentrate and found we were at about 7.2% up from the 3%. I ran a second batch and tried to monitor my flows AND pressure better and was running about .6 gpm on concentrate and 1+/- gpm on my permeate,.... and tried to keep my pressure at 270 psi. This resulted in 8.4% up from 3%.

Is this correct? This is totally "trial by error". ANY assistance you can give would be helpful.

2.) We have a head tank that doesn't just quite run totally dry. There is about 1+ gallon of concentrate in it. It is out of the sun and it's cool/cold. I probably won't boil for several days yet. Can this remain and just get blended in? Should I check to see if it is "fermenting" prior to adding,..............or just disconnect and clean it out.

Thanks!
    Badgerland 2x6 drop flue to fire in 2015
    Sugar Shack functional 2013.
    Home Comfort wood cook for pancake sampling.
    Hoping to grow the operation in 2017-18

In answer to question #2.....absolutely do NOT leave and concentrate in your head tank. I’ve learned this the hard way. It will spoil and potentially spoil the sweet in your pan if left too long. I always flush tank, pre heater and lines at the end of each run or it will smell like dirty socks the next time u fire up. You also need to ensure the float box doesn’t have sap that didn’t boil as well or you will get a ropey mess.

Dealing with concentrate is an entire different beast then dealing with raw sap
    Last edited by Clinkis; 03-12-2018 at 06:25 AM.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

As Clinkis stated, you want to clean out your head tank after each batch. One option is to pour some permeate in to move the concentrate out of the tank, unless you have another means to get your head tank empty.

Not sure about your 125 unit, but on our 250, we run it at 285 psi and can generally end up with 7.5% concentrate from 2% sap. Ray said that running it at 285 was fine as long as someone was monitoring it regularly. We made a mark on the glass of the pressure gauge with a fine tipped permanent marker so it is easy to see how the pressure is running at a glance. Once you get the pressure dialed in on a batch, it varies very little, so it isn't a problem to keep it there.

Having an RO will spoil you for life!!!
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

With my 250 running at 270-275 PSI i can go from 2% to 7-8% depending on sap temperature in one pass, you are likely going to do about half that with a 125.
    Do not leave any concentrate in the head tank, it will lower the quality of the next concentrate sent in. Clean the tank after every use, with permeate, hot if possible. Can you lift the head tank on blocks or similar to get more of the concentrate into the evaporator? A 2x4 or 2 might help on the end away from the outlet.
    Plumb a drain into the line from the head tank to the evaporator, to drain as you wash the head tank.
    If you lose 1 gallon of 8% it's like throwing away 4 gal of 2% sap every time or it's roughly equal to throwing away a little under 1 pint of finished syrup.
    However, if you flushed the sweet off the membrane back into the head tank as stated in the manual for 5 minutes, and boiled that until you had 1 gal left, the sweet in the head tank was well under 8% by then. To be sure, if you can't find a good way to get the tail end in the head tank, flush for 6 or 7 minutes into the head tank and boil that before shutting down, you will have then cut the sugar % of that gallon left behind. Then wash the head tank with permeate and send to drain.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread