+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The winter that won't quit!

I agree...40 inches of snow in the past 7 days...with talk of another one coming! We were so close to spring, sap gathering was easy, beautiful sunny days. Now its looking cold and snowy for the next week.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

Yup crazy weather for sure! Plus side we have snow to keep our storage tanks cool when the sap does run! My youngest has 2 baseball games scheduled 3/31, not seeing that happening!
    2013 135 Taps 35 on Gravity, 100 on Buckets 11 Gallons Made
    2014 310 Taps 75 on Sureflo 4048, 235 on Buckets, 16'x16' Sugarshack, 5" Filter Press, 2x6 Smoky Lake Hybrid Pan (SOLD) 23 Gallons made
    2015 315 Taps, 17 on Sureflo 4008, 62 on Sureflo 4048, 236 on Buckets 31.25 Gallons Made
    2016 New Northwoods Stainless Finisher and Steamhood
    2017 325 Taps 34 Gallons Made
    2018 150 Taps New Northwoods Stainless 2x6 Raised Flue w/ Air Tight Arch 40+ Gallons Made

Looks like a big extended freeze coming this weekend into next week. Could be yet another season reset.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

The cold here in our part of New Mont will reset the trees. Snow varies a lot in every direction from 6' to 12". We are frost hard again but only have 12-18" of snow. The snow will make the season longer and supply the trees with needed water.
    Ground is powdery 2' down saws the cable burial crew in the area for the new spectrum cable in the area.

Old fashioned winter like when I was a kid!

Funny how any big storm like we had in the 60's thru the 80's is now "THE STORM OF THE CENTURY" . funny HOW I'm only 52 and I have now lived thru 20 100 year storms in the last 5-7 years.
    Last edited by BreezyHill; 03-18-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BreezyHill View Post
    The cold here in our part of New Mont will reset the trees. Snow varies a lot in every direction from 6' to 12". We are frost hard again but only have 12-18" of snow. The snow will make the season longer and supply the trees with needed water.
    Ground is powdery 2' down saws the cable burial crew in the area for the new spectrum cable in the area.

Old fashioned winter like when I was a kid!

Funny how any big storm like we had in the 60's thru the 80's is now "THE STORM OF THE CENTURY" . funny HOW I'm only 52 and I have now lived thru 20 100 year storms in the last 5-7 years.
    Yea right, anything to hype people up..... everyone is used to that easy button these days that 10 degrees and a foot of snow is a reason to go dormant and whine about how hard it is to deal with. Of course they(the gov't) are always looking to encourage the next wave of super shopping so to spike some revenue to support all their laundering and liberal politics.
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

I'm looking forward to hooking up at least a couple more lines tomorrow, looks like a warm up is coming mid-week. Just have to break trail all over again...not looking forward to that part.
    Road's End Farm - Starting small with no end in sight!

Default finally thawing

Yesterday was the first time I boiled in 2 1/2 weeks. I had about 150 gallons of sap from the last run in plastic drums: frozen solid. At least the sap was well preserved. Finally thawing out and sap is running again, but is I look at the tops of my trees, I can detect the slightest blush of color, so I think I've only got a few more days of good sap.

All-in-all it was a better season than I expected.
    Penfrydd Farm
    21 taps
    maybe 35 next year
    Half-pint
    Boiling in a tent...maybe in a shack next year.
    Hoping to do natural gravity vacuum next year.
    First time boiling since 1972

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12