+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The winter that won't quit!

Default The winter that won't quit!

I just spent the one day off I had this week digging out my mainlines again after receiving 18" of snow on top of the 2.5-3 ft. of snowpack we already had. My lines that cross my trails are 6' high and I can no longer snowmobile under them. Now we're supposed to get another 8" to 12" Tuesday and Wednesday. Grrrr!!!!! Sometimes I wish I was in a less challenging area for sugaring.

You have definitely been hit with winter weather this season. Are you above average for snowfall this season? We are two feet below normal here in Gaylord, Michigan this year. Good luck with your syrup this year.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

Not much snow here.
    Got plenty of mud though.
    Don’t know which is worse.

Had to winch the Gator out yesterday.
    First time for that.

Truth be known, I went back there just for the fun of it.
    My bad
    42.67N 84.02W

350 taps- 300 on vacuum, 50 buckets
    JD gator 625i Sap hauler w/65 gal tank
    Leader 2X6 drop flue

Homemade auto draw-off
    Homemade preheater
    Homebrew RO, 2- xle-4040's
    LaPierre double vertical releaser
    Kinney KC-8 vacuum pump

12X24 shack
    Lots of chickens and a few cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweegs View Post
    Not much snow here.
    Got plenty of mud though.
    Don’t know which is worse.

Had to winch the Gator out yesterday.
    First time for that.

Truth be known, I went back there just for the fun of it.
    My bad
    When you're stuck in the mud sapsa flowing- that's a fact

We've been looking at snow for almost 5 months now unbelievable and now we have another three to six on the way...... If this keeps up the frost is going to drive back into the ground!!!
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

If the ground thawed before the snow hit, deep snow will net let the frost get into the ground, however if only an inch or 2 thawed with lots of frost deeper down, the snow will let the cold equalize which will freeze those 2 ", maybe even 3'".
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by MISugarDaddy View Post
    You have definitely been hit with winter weather this season. Are you above average for snowfall this season? We are two feet below normal here in Gaylord, Michigan this year. Good luck with your syrup this year.
    Gary
    We're a little above average, around 130 inches, but it seems to be wearing on me this year more than most.

As you get older it wears on you more!!

No doubt about the older you get the less snow you like, for me anyway. This weather is getting old real quick for me. However we didn't have a real frost set in the ground this year. Maybe a few inches in January but after the initial thaw I have been able bury a shovel over a foot in and no frost. guess that's good and bad depending on your perspective. Heck before this last snow hit I rototilled my garden, even started to "dry" out a bit. At least the apples shouldn't bloom too early this year.
    2008 700 ranger xp sap hauler/45 hp 4x4 tractor/028 super stihl
    2x4 mason hobby/blower/new for 2014 smoky lake hybrid pan
    2014 300ish buckets and still need bigger evaporator/14 x 20 square log shack
    2015 2x6 drop flue phaneuf approx. 325 buckets, 1 year older, not sure about the smarter part ?
    gets expensive in a hurry!!

I dont know what is worse that much snow or warmth. 2-3 weeks ago it was 70s for a few days here which almost ended our season, and now havent had a run in 2 weeks because its been too cold with 2 feet of snow, very frustrating but thats mother nature for sure. I think all areas have their challenges for sugaring its more annoying than anything.

Here at least, I'm pretty sure the weather we have had lately has reset the trees. When it worms again, it might well be like starting all over again. this should help us get a bumper crop (locally at least).
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast