+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Premapping Maple Locations

Default Premapping Maple Locations

I'm trying to find any large maples on the property that I plan to move to. I think that I can see probable maple trees on Google Maps based on the color of the trees in the satellite image. They are a much lighter shade of green than the typical evergreens, poplars, and alders, but maybe they are something else. Using the GPSVisualizer website, I can place waypoints for the trees on a PC screen and generate a text list of locations. Now I need to go to the property and find these points. I would like to find an android app that I can import this waypoint list into and let it guide me to these places to verify whether there is a previously undiscovered maple there. There seems to be hundreds of GPS apps for Androids, but I can't tell if any of them allow the importation of a waypoint list and work with Google Maps and navigate to waypoints. Any suggestions?
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Default Solution Found

It looks like I found a solution. It's not as good as I wanted, but it worked. I used the GPSVisualizer website to generate a waypoint list of possible maples. Then I imported the list into an Android app called GPS Waypoint Finder. It doesn't show a map, but it's a good enough compass navigation aid. It brought me to the trees I had suspected and about half of them were maples. I even found a good sized maple that I hadn't suspected and I may have found the parent tree of a small sugar maple that was the first and only sugar that I have positively indentified. The other half of the suspects were large wild cherry trees, so it was good to have them located on the map in case I want to harvest them in the future for woodworking projects. I flagged all the trees with tape so I can visit them in late tick season to verify by looking at the leaves. With what I learned, I was able to edit the waypoint list and import it back into the GPSVisualizer for mapping routes.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Do you have a link to a good elevation app? I tried a few with poor results. when they say a bridge surface is one foot above the low ground it crosses and there is close to 20 feet difference in elevation in the real world. it is pretty useless.

The GPSVisualizer website is the only thing I have that accesses elevation databases.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

I used GPSVisualizer when I was setting up one bush, trying to decide the best route to run a transfer line to a road. It was easy in that program to get elevations. Just go to satellite view and zoom in. Then you can see well enough, especially if some landmarks show thru to get the elevation of most areas. In that bush I was easily able to see where an old stone fence went and a roadway that barely showed for the ground.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Get some photographs from a drone. The GPS coordinates can be inserted for the flyover.

+ Reply to Thread