+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: West End of U.P.

I am going to put my taps in on 3/21 or 3/22. That is as long as I can wait as I believe once the weather breaks here, it is going to warm up fast and I need to be prepared. This start date is two full weeks later than last year, but the temp is not cooperating this year either. Good luck to everyone!

Default 91 and Done

Well, the 7 day weather trend on the shores of Lake Superior look favorable ... so we tapped yesterday on 3/16. The sap was flowing as we were tapping. It is a good thing my buddy Paul insisted that we tap this weekend or we would have missed some nice clean ups! Good luck to everyone!

Not the best for most, but our best clean up ever. Since Sunday, we have collected 125 gallons and will boil our fist time this season. Good Times!

Great conditions so far for me! Boiled 45 gallons of sap for 1.75 gallons of syrup yesterday, a nice honey color too. Plenty more still to go in storage and on the way with the nice weather coming up. Loads of snow on the ground will help drag out this season for a while I hope.
    All my life I wanted to make my own syrup. Now I'm livin' the dream!

Default Nice to Hear

Quote Originally Posted by nasion View Post
    Great conditions so far for me! Boiled 45 gallons of sap for 1.75 gallons of syrup yesterday, a nice honey color too. Plenty more still to go in storage and on the way with the nice weather coming up. Loads of snow on the ground will help drag out this season for a while I hope.
    I believe this will be a great week also. Good luck Nasion, it sounds like you got some grade "A" syrup. After this, the smelt should be close to running with Cohos hanging around off shore.

Cleaning up tomorrow night. Can't wait to see how much sap we get!

We made 5.75 gallons out of 250 gallons this past weekend. We're going to head up tonight and pick again.

The weather over the past week has been fantastic for pulling in gobs of sap. I can barely keep up! Fortunately the spring crust has been excellent and I haven't needed snowshoes once while out collecting. A great year so far for me!
    All my life I wanted to make my own syrup. Now I'm livin' the dream!

Default New Year! 2021

I fell off the posting last year ............ sorry everyone! We ended up with 13 gallons of syrup last year and I am anxious to get the process started again this year. The weather has been very cold and I hope it breaks soon. I think I am going to set up everything next weekend and tap on March 6th if the weather looks favorable. We ended up buying a new pan and use the other as a back up. We also increased our project to 105 taps with all bags and hangers. We moved away from the buckets, but will probably add them if the run looks solid. Overall, I am happy to be getting the job rolling again. Good luck everyone!

I really like using the bags rather than the buckets, however I put up a few buckets with my grandkids so they can help. Going to try some 3/16's tubing this year to see how that works.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast