+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: West End of U.P.

I only took in 6 gallons of sap from my 38 taps for the whole weekend here in Chassell. Still 2-3 feet of snow out there. I anticipate ice concentrating that sap down quite a bit throughout the week. Maybe I'll boil on Friday and get a few tablespoons of syrup!

No great run in sight yet, just gotta be patient. Might as well rebuild the chicken coop and do a few other chores while I'm at it... any day now, spring!
    All my life I wanted to make my own syrup. Now I'm livin' the dream!

Tapped on 3/13/2018 and it has been really slow. Looking good for the upcoming week in Ontonagon.

Default Rough Year So Far

Checks 90 taps, Boiled on March 25 and have 4 Pints. Hope this gets better!

Default Wow!

The weekend forcast is in. It does not look good for this home team. We are forcast for weather below freezing for the next week with a winter storm warning for tonight into tomorrow. They are calling for TEN inches of snow! I have a lot of fight, but after 4 weeks only 36 gallons of sap off 90 taps, I don't know. I will give it a little more, but if the weather does not break, I am going to go smelting ......... if the lake ice ever leaves!

Default April 10

Last weekend we collected 30 gallons of crystal clear ICE! Oh well .... Tuesday through Wednesday looks good?? They are then calling for a storm to bring between 12-24 inches here on the weekend! I am going to wait one more week. I still have 1-2 feet of snow in the woods and the base of the trees just began the "melted ring" we all get excited about. Keep working everyone, it will happen I hope.

Default April15, 2018

Boiled for the third time yesterday. We ended up getting 1.5 gallons of that liquid gold. Fast forward to today and we are in a blizzard warning and the snow is now coming. I still have the taps in and look for two more weeks, but are supposed to get 14-18 inches today into tomorrow. We will see, but have finally hit the overall total for three boils of 2.3 gallons of gold. Hope everyone else is doing well!

Just boiled for the first time today in the midst of the fun winter storm we're getting. Hiked out to the sugar shack with only a couple inches on the ground, by the time I hiked home there were foot-high drifts burying all my trails. It's days like today that I wish my sugar shack was more insulated... and not leaky like a sieve.

Can't argue with the results though - 2.2 gallons of syrup from 43 gallons of sap! Granted I've been freezing down a lot of that sap for the past two weeks patiently awaiting the day that I'd have enough to boil... but hey, less time boiling in the end! Looking forward to making more as soon as the weather figures out what season its supposed to be.
    All my life I wanted to make my own syrup. Now I'm livin' the dream!

Default April 22,2018

Had collected 105 gallons and only yielded 2 and 1/2 gallons. We ended up storing for four Oslo days and I think we lost sugar .... But have to work all day, so the weekend is it! We are going to do one more boil and call it a year. It is supposed to be 62 degrees tomorrow and rain on Tuesday and I have a feeling the "buddy" time will creep in. Good luck to everyone.

Default 2019 West End of U.P.

Hello everyone! I am excited for another year of Sapping! We expanded to 50 bags and another 70 buckets for a total of 120 taps. We cleaned everything and are ready to roll. However, one problem ... Below zero temps until March 12th at least. We just received 18" of the white stuff again. It is disheartening, but we will be ready when the time comes! Good luck to everyone!

Hello, Boone!
    i too am getting antsy and am doing more reading about sugaring than actually doing anything constructive. According to this site i will be tapping on 3/15:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/he...eather/2211119

having trouble keeping the camp road open but a "captain of industry" on our road had a worker with dozer moving snow last weekend. heading up tomorrow to try n maintain it with my 1/2 ton n plow.
    good luck to u as well
    mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast