+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: West End of U.P.

Default West End of U.P.

Tapped 90+ trees on 3/4/18 and had some flow. However, the Temp has taken its toll and it stopped. Went out on 3/10 and checked and all frozen, but began to run again. This week looks good by Wednesday on the Southern Shores of The Big Lake (45+ degrees) and low 20's at night. Believe I will take Friday off from work, collect and cook. I am hooked on this as well as is my camp buddy of 30 years. I will keep posted about how the run goes throughout the year as we are located on the western most point of MI I the U.P. The Montreal River runs into Lake Superior 2 miles away from the 100 acres we tap. Hope all is well with everyone and good luck. (We walked in a mile on snowshoes to tap and realized the trees were still under 3.5 feet of snow. This year will be a test!)

Boone,

Welcome to Maple trader. Always good to see another Yooper join. Good luck and hope your sap runs 3% for all your effort.
    New for 2016 Mason 2x4 XL with AUF blower. No more boiling in stainless steam table trays or pots for me.

I've been holding off tapping yet here in Chassell, weather thus far didn't look too promising. Finally planning to put in my 38 taps Tuesday or Wednesday to get ahead of the flow that ought to be coming. Looking forward to getting out there!

A mile of snowshoeing sounds fun, except for the hauling tapping supplies part...
    All my life I wanted to make my own syrup. Now I'm livin' the dream!

Hi. This is Northernlite from the UP Michigan Forum. I'm up at Lake Medora. Tapped 40 Sunday at end of day a few drops. Should run this weekend. 3x4 pan, snowshoe in, I just have a quota of 5gal, I figured out no sense in making it more work than it already is. Good luck...check out saptapapp

Default Thanks Jolly Acres:

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Acres Farm View Post
    Boone,

Welcome to Maple trader. Always good to see another Yooper join. Good luck and hope your sap runs 3% for all your effort.
    Thanks Jolly Acres Farm. keep me posted about the season!

I am hoping the same. I guess it is true .... Patience is a virtue northerlite!

Quote Originally Posted by nasion View Post
    I've been holding off tapping yet here in Chassell, weather thus far didn't look too promising. Finally planning to put in my 38 taps Tuesday or Wednesday to get ahead of the flow that ought to be coming. Looking forward to getting out there!

A mile of snowshoeing sounds fun, except for the hauling tapping supplies part...
    Keep me posted on your run and I will do the same!

I tap 2 miles out of Ontonagon
    Plan on tapping tomorrow (3/13/17) and will try to give updates

Default Snow...

It is 3/13 and it is snowing to beat the band on the west end. Hopefully tomorrow's warm up will be as good as they are calling for ....

Default Weekend of St. Patty

Checked the taps on Friday. Had about 18 gallons and did a trial boil on Friday night. 2 pints of golden syrup, but that was it! Great stuff, however. Collected again on Sunday and 10 gallons. The ground still has 2 feet of snow and temps look cold this week. It HAS to break soon. I will be checking taps again when it gets over 32 degrees. How are others doing in the U.P.?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast