+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: West End of U.P.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by nasion View Post
    I've been holding off tapping yet here in Chassell, weather thus far didn't look too promising. Finally planning to put in my 38 taps Tuesday or Wednesday to get ahead of the flow that ought to be coming. Looking forward to getting out there!

A mile of snowshoeing sounds fun, except for the hauling tapping supplies part...
    Keep me posted on your run and I will do the same!

I tap 2 miles out of Ontonagon
    Plan on tapping tomorrow (3/13/17) and will try to give updates

Default Snow...

It is 3/13 and it is snowing to beat the band on the west end. Hopefully tomorrow's warm up will be as good as they are calling for ....

Default Weekend of St. Patty

Checked the taps on Friday. Had about 18 gallons and did a trial boil on Friday night. 2 pints of golden syrup, but that was it! Great stuff, however. Collected again on Sunday and 10 gallons. The ground still has 2 feet of snow and temps look cold this week. It HAS to break soon. I will be checking taps again when it gets over 32 degrees. How are others doing in the U.P.?

I only took in 6 gallons of sap from my 38 taps for the whole weekend here in Chassell. Still 2-3 feet of snow out there. I anticipate ice concentrating that sap down quite a bit throughout the week. Maybe I'll boil on Friday and get a few tablespoons of syrup!

No great run in sight yet, just gotta be patient. Might as well rebuild the chicken coop and do a few other chores while I'm at it... any day now, spring!
    All my life I wanted to make my own syrup. Now I'm livin' the dream!

Tapped on 3/13/2018 and it has been really slow. Looking good for the upcoming week in Ontonagon.

Default Rough Year So Far

Checks 90 taps, Boiled on March 25 and have 4 Pints. Hope this gets better!

Not the best for most, but our best clean up ever. Since Sunday, we have collected 125 gallons and will boil our fist time this season. Good Times!

Default Wow!

The weekend forcast is in. It does not look good for this home team. We are forcast for weather below freezing for the next week with a winter storm warning for tonight into tomorrow. They are calling for TEN inches of snow! I have a lot of fight, but after 4 weeks only 36 gallons of sap off 90 taps, I don't know. I will give it a little more, but if the weather does not break, I am going to go smelting ......... if the lake ice ever leaves!

Default April 10

Last weekend we collected 30 gallons of crystal clear ICE! Oh well .... Tuesday through Wednesday looks good?? They are then calling for a storm to bring between 12-24 inches here on the weekend! I am going to wait one more week. I still have 1-2 feet of snow in the woods and the base of the trees just began the "melted ring" we all get excited about. Keep working everyone, it will happen I hope.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast