+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leader Single Barb 3/16ths Fittings

Last 6 days in a row the 5/16 is blow off the CV2, not sure if from cold temps, never had problem before this week

Last 6 days in a row the 5/16 is blow off the CV2, not sure if from cold temps, never had problem before this week

I have 65,000 feet of 3/16th leader tubing with leader fittings in my woods and nothing has pulled apart or leaked... Lines are as tight as I could get them and in some cases I stretched the tubing and the fittings still didn't come off. I am also using the max flow and not the standard stuff (maybe it grips better).
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

I put up 80 to 100 taps last year with my two handed tool and yes I had several times when i tried to pull slack out and they would pop right off the single barb. I have asked this same question right from the start. I won't put in more leader single barbs
    2011-73 taps, Barrel evaporator, Made 16 Gallons, http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/l603/palmer4th/
    2012-100-120 taps, flat pan 2x6 http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/...Sugar%20Shack/
    2013- 150 taps, added blower http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amlowhYM0as

Quote Originally Posted by mol1jb View Post
    I am using leader tubing and fittings as well and the only time I have issues with lines pulling apart is when animals chew up the tubing on the fitting. Otherwise they have held for me quite well
    Use CDL tubing. 10x better grip, if you can use the softer stuff.. the CDL vision (which is 5/16) will not come off fittings, it will break first that's a guarantee....

Leader charge all this money and half their products are garbage compared to cdl- prime example is the maxflow fittings fromr CDL much much better
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Man 85 View Post
    I have 65,000 feet of 3/16th leader tubing with leader fittings in my woods and nothing has pulled apart or leaked... Lines are as tight as I could get them and in some cases I stretched the tubing and the fittings still didn't come off. I am also using the max flow and not the standard stuff (maybe it grips better).
    The maxflow is slightly better but still doesn't compare with cdl
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    7'' wes fab filter press

I have used both the Leader single barbed fittings and the CDL in my 3/16”. I have mostly Leader 30P with some CDL tubing. I had a Leader connector pull apart yesterday but have had problems with the CDL tees buckling and breaking when installing them in tight lines. I don’t think one brand is really better than the other, they just have different short comings.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    I don’t think one brand is really better than the other, they just have different short comings.
    well said BAP, its the old chevy -ford - dodge thing again
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

Quote Originally Posted by WESTMAPLES View Post
    well said BAP, its the old chevy -ford - dodge thing again
    Yes it is thanks
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    I have used both the Leader single barbed fittings and the CDL in my 3/16”. I have mostly Leader 30P with some CDL tubing. I had a Leader connector pull apart yesterday but have had problems with the CDL tees buckling and breaking when installing them in tight lines. I don’t think one brand is really better than the other, they just have different short comings.
    The only time I've found when installing any t or fitting and ot will.make them buckle, bend or break, is you are using your tubing tool. If the tubing is not inserted on the Barb squarely and you apply alot of pressure before correctly aligning the two the fitting will bend or kink, have to ensure they stay sqaure to one another until they are over first Barb. The CDL fittings seem to grip so well they make the tubing have resistance when sliding over the Barb and this I think is what makes one side want to go on before the other side which then kinks it of you keep applying force

I dunno I do all my work and Everytime I can't get to CDL and use leader tubing I curse- Everytime...it slows me down and doesn't work as Nicely.

I dunno about the Ford Chevy thing, some things simply work better than others that's a simple fact...... BTW Id never own a gm product, first on race day, lol had throw that in there. ( Found on road dead- huh what- never seen it a Ford WILL always get u home)

If I was using a roll of CDL and then u snuck me a roll of leader (if I couldn't tell the difference by color) I would Immediatly know the difference.

I've said this to my father several times- he's never installed tubing and always says " I can't think there would be that much difference".

I like to say sometimes " I only know what I know from doing"
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    7'' wes fab filter press

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast