+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leader Single Barb 3/16ths Fittings

I’ve been using leader fittings without issue this season, all my lines are tight. I had a couple pop apart last year but the breaks seem to coincide with deer tracks. Coincidence, I think not. Everyone else’s problems are making me think it’s only a matter of time for me.
    Smoky Lake 2x8 Raised Flue
    Mason Arch

5 Buckets
    300 Gravity
    120 High Shurflo vac

7" Wes Fab Filter Press
    Mason Finisher
    Mason Water-Jacketed Canner

Yep, they pull apart on me too. Wish I'd known last year when I did my whole install that CDL fittings have 2 barbs. Another consideration is that I'm using 95% 30P in my woods. The rest is the green stuff from H20 innovations. Their tubing is softer and stretchier. It grips the fittings much better. Haven't had a single one pull apart on that line. Everywhere else it'll pop if you pull too hard.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Count me in as having problems. I had problems putting the tubing up. I even tried not really pulling the lines tight and they still kept coming off. A lot of the tees actually deformed. Besides not holding with the one barb they seem to be made a lot thinner and flimsy. I won't use them again. The CDL seem to be a lot stronger.
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

I've also had lots of trouble with the 30P. Mostly with it slipping through the 2 handed tool, but also with some connections (single barb) pulling apart.
    2020 - 320 Taps
    2x5 Raised Flue Lapierre Waterloo Small Evaporator
    WF Mason Finisher/Canner

Sounds like I dodged the bullet on this one. We started out with D&G tubing and fittings, 0 problem. Then on a expansion we used CDL tubing with a mixture cdl and d&g fittings, this tubing was very similar to D&G but did have a few pull offs from the d&g fittings, a couple if I remember correctly. Cdl id may be slightly bigger on the inside. For this season also tried a roll of Lapierre with d&g fittings, no problems so far.
    4x12 arch
    new custom flues
    New custom front pan
    600 buckets town trees
    1500 3/16 taps
    D&G filterpress
    16x32 3rdgen canner
    member NYMPA
    Director American Maple Museum
    Director NNYMP COOP
    Asst. Chief BFFD
    Retired(now working for free)
    2015 Mahindra 70hp

Quote Originally Posted by Z/MAN View Post
    Count me in as having problems. I had problems putting the tubing up. I even tried not really pulling the lines tight and they still kept coming off. A lot of the tees actually deformed. Besides not holding with the one barb they seem to be made a lot thinner and flimsy. I won't use them again. The CDL seem to be a lot stronger.
    I remember making and installing the original drops, and having to be absolutely sure everything was super straight before pressing together. If I was off just a little bit, one of the legs of the Tee would certainly buckle over, rendering the whole thing useless at that point. I used the plain jane Leader black spouts and they were just as finicky to install the tubing onto also. I used the CDL green spouts last year and they seemed much more rugged.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

wnybassman,

Ditto here. You better keep it straight or it would deform and once one pulled off you better toss it and install a new one. I noticed some of my semi-rigid leader tubing seemed to have memory after the tee was pulled off. I started cutting about and inch out at every pull off, which in itself created problems. On two lines I had to replace a section of tubing between two tees, because I had to cut more than I could stretch out. I am thinking about next fall buying CDL and replacing all tees. A hassle I would rather not have on one year old tubing.

Had 2000' of leader 2 years ago.This year replaced it with H20 line.Tried to tighten it up a few weeks ago and it started pulling off the CDL tee.The stuff is junk in my opinion.

Sap Hauler
    -1996 Ford F250
    -2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660
    2016 Year:About 925 Taps on 3/16
    2015 Year:About 775 Taps
    2014 Year:About 270 Taps
    2013 Year:About 265 Taps
    2012 Year:About 200 Taps
    2011 Year:About 200 Taps
    2010 Year:About 65 Taps

I've had zero pull offs on my 3/16, but all of my 3/16 is either DSD or D&G on both the fittings and the tubing. All of my 5/16 older tubing is Leader 30P, but this year I tried D&G for both sizes. I find the D&G softer and harder to attach to fittings but it does not pull apart. However, on the 3/16 on any length between trees of maybe 25' or more on my flatter areas before the hill side starts downhill do have a little sag, on ones after the slope gets steeper there is no sag enough to make it so sap is climbing any to get to the next tree.
    My first year on 3/16 (2016) I did have a couple of pull offs but I decided I had pulled it too fight. I then pulled it slightly less tight and no more pull offs unless a squirrel chew at the fitting caused it.
    My 3/16 laterals are now rather tight but not banjo tight. I've found it doesn't need to be as tight as 5/16 needs.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Count me in one this one. FRUSTRATED! Never again, switched whole woods over to cdl.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast