+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Would Others Do?

Smile What Would Others Do?

We have taken in about 350-400 gallons of sap over the past two days. The temps have been low to mid 30s during the day and 27 - 28 at night. The tanks had a little slush in it last night when we shut down and I would guess more this morning. We were hoping to have a couple hundred more gallons before we fired up so we can keep a gradient going without starting and stopping. Do we dare wait a couple more days to use our sap? Temps down in low 20s tonight and upper 20s after that. Daytime temps In mid 30s. Sap will be in enclosed shed out of sunlight. Not that sunshine has been a huge risk around here lately.
    12 x 16 shack with 8 x 16 addition
    2 x 6 D&G raised flue with hood
    Homebuilt releasers
    220 taps on vac
    100 plus taps on buckets
    Gast 1550 on gas engine
    HF vac pump on generator

As long as the sap has slush in the tank, it will keep a few days. I'm doing the same thing right now. I have about 300 gal in the tank, with a thin layer of ice/slush. I'll get another 2-300 gal before I boil, as long as the temps stay cold enough.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

With your 2x6 if you are not using a ro, I would personally start boiling to stay ahead of the game. If the sap starts to flow you could looking at 10-12 boil, which if you have time can be fun but if not can be tough. The way this year has gone maintaining a gradient has been tough.
    2008 700 ranger xp sap hauler/45 hp 4x4 tractor/028 super stihl
    2x4 mason hobby/blower/new for 2014 smoky lake hybrid pan
    2014 300ish buckets and still need bigger evaporator/14 x 20 square log shack
    2015 2x6 drop flue phaneuf approx. 325 buckets, 1 year older, not sure about the smarter part ?
    gets expensive in a hurry!!

Early in the season with ice in the tank I wouldn't worry about it spoiling. I think it was last year or the year before (I should really start taking notes) we had a pretty good run much earlier than we normally do and then the temps plunged. It stayed come for over a week, maybe ten days. I didn't have my cooker cleaned, and it was so cold I didn't want to mess with hoses to clean it and I didn't want to run pumps either. So I left it in the tanks. Probably 4-500 gallons. It didn't freeze solid, but I had big blocks of ice in both tanks. When I did get around to cooking it it made great syrup and the icebergs that remained in the tank kept sap from the next couple of runs nice and cold.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie View Post
    With your 2x6 if you are not using a ro, I would personally start boiling to stay ahead of the game. If the sap starts to flow you could looking at 10-12 boil, which if you have time can be fun but if not can be tough. The way this year has gone maintaining a gradient has been tough.
    We do RO and have been boiling when we have about 500 gallons or a little more as that is what the work schedule has allowed. Pretty much the same routine as in the past but we are having issues keeping a good grade this year. Sounds like others are too. We just get rolling and start getting a little lighter grade and it's time to shut down and start the process over. I guess we will gamble with sap that is a few days old vs starting and stopping. Thanks to all for the replies.
    12 x 16 shack with 8 x 16 addition
    2 x 6 D&G raised flue with hood
    Homebuilt releasers
    220 taps on vac
    100 plus taps on buckets
    Gast 1550 on gas engine
    HF vac pump on generator

+ Reply to Thread