+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On hold right now

Default On hold right now

Looks like a little holding pattern this weekend in SE Michigan Good time to do some cleaning of pans, filters and gathering pails.
    Smoky lake full pint on my leader half pint arch
    110 taps on 3/16 vacuum tubing
    Homemade RO sapinator

Haven't collected much since Friday in central MI. But Mother Nature is doing some of the work: my bags were half frozen. Dumped out the ice and have less to evaporate. Looks like the taps are running now in the sunshine.

Ran good all day yesterday. Gathered over 700 gal.
    5th generation
    2 1/2 Buckets
    815 gravity
    2 new flat pans. Back pan now has 16 V's
    Rebuilt the block arch 3x12
    Homemade pre-heater,steamhood
    MES Dolly RO

Beautiful morning in mid-michigan to start a boil. Collected 200gal yesterday.IMG_20180312_102127981.jpg

near Flint, and a slow day yesterday as well. temps keep hovering lower, a week ago it was supposed to be 50 by thursday, not so, but freeze/thaw conditions keep on happening. maybe a great year

Quote Originally Posted by michael marrs View Post
    near Flint, and a slow day yesterday as well. temps keep hovering lower, a week ago it was supposed to be 50 by thursday, not so, but freeze/thaw conditions keep on happening. maybe a great year
    I checked buckets after work yesterday and even from Sunday's warmth not much ran. Can't imagine much today either. Maybe by the end of the week for a good weekend boil.
    Homemade RO sapinator

IMG_20180312_195849316.jpg

Near Grand Rapids and had best run of the season yesterday afternoon into the night. Average 1.5 gallons per tap. This past weekend was extremely slow even with sunshine all day Sunday almost hitting 40F. Yesterday was similar but had wind to push the warm air into the woods warming the trees. Emptied the buckets late last night and overnight had an additional 1/2 gallon of sap per tap. With how slow things have been was thinking I would never have a good run.

Picture of sap getting ready to boil and yes I did end up filtering out those dark pieces.
    2017 First year late start 18 taps. Produced 2 gallons syrup. Hooked for life.
    2018 2nd Year early start 26 taps In Jan increased to 86 taps March. Upgraded outdoor boiler concrete block & 2 20"x30"x5" Stainless pans. Swimming in sap this March! 100% disconnected all taps 3-27-18. Syrup produced 15 gallons!
    2019 Season late to start only a week before spring break. Season total syrup 1.5 gallons. Enjoyed every drop.
    2023 2/10/23 8 taps producing 1-1.5gal/24hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark79 View Post
    Attachment 18115

Near Grand Rapids and had best run of the season yesterday afternoon into the night. Average 1.5 gallons per tap. This past weekend was extremely slow even with sunshine all day Sunday almost hitting 40F. Yesterday was similar but had wind to push the warm air into the woods warming the trees. Emptied the buckets late last night and overnight had an additional 1/2 gallon of sap per tap. With how slow things have been was thinking I would never have a good run.

Picture of sap getting ready to boil and yes I did end up filtering out those dark pieces.
    Nice little setup you have their. one thing I see that would help you greatly is running less sap in your pan. If you run your sap level around 1 inch in the pans you will boil a lot faster and more efficiently. I was surprised how well it ran yesterday also, as I didn't think it got all that warm. Good luck

Still not much sap slowing in Livingston county as of today
    Homemade RO sapinator

375 today, best day this year! Averaging 325 per day on 250 taps and looking to have a great weekend in south G.R. so far about 4300 gals for the season all on 3/16. Wish you all a bucket full and sunshine!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast