+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cinnamon infused syrup

Default Cinnamon infused syrup

I posted previously about cinnamon infused syrup with sticks of cinnamon. Has anyone tried using ground cinnamon instead of sticks? If so how did it turn out or compare. I plan to bottle in 12oz bottles

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Infusing and adding something are two different things. What you do with it for your own consumption is OK. Now retail is different world so be careful.

Im all for trying new things but wording is important. I had someone say they tried it and it settled out and clumped up.

Our experience is that ground cinnamon won’t dissolve in syrup, it settles out as Haynes suggests.
    You could try an oil or extract, but I think you’d be farther ahead, profit wise, to just use the sticks.
    42.67N 84.02W

350 taps- 300 on vacuum, 50 buckets
    JD gator 625i Sap hauler w/65 gal tank
    Leader 2X6 drop flue

Homemade auto draw-off
    Homemade preheater
    Homebrew RO, 2- xle-4040's
    LaPierre double vertical releaser
    Kinney KC-8 vacuum pump

12X24 shack
    Lots of chickens and a few cats.

Yea I don't plan to market it and I know it will settle I just figure I would shake it up. The flavor should still infuse as it is particles of cinnamon in syrup the only difference I see is the cinnamon comes out when you pour it.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Get a container of real cinnamon and with a food grade hack saw cut them up into 1" -2" lengths depending on your preferd strengh and just plop them in. Why do a half *** job with such a great product. What do you gain by it.

Ok..........

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Years ago we worked with someone on some issues they had when developing infused products. An issue is that on occasion, the very fine particles of the infusion serve as nucleation sites for sugar crystals. You end up with a lot of fine deposits (sugar or the infused substance) in the bottom of the bottle. Other types of mixtures/infusions can cause denaturing of the color bodies in syrup and create a sludge or fine film of material in the bottle. Either way, not visually appealing. Unfortunately the problems, if encountered, aren't always easily solved.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I appreciate the feedback that's the type of information I was looking for. Understandably why go through all that trouble filtering out sugar sand to have crystals forming onnthe cinnamon. I will stick with the sticks

We have used sticks in the past but we put them in the near-up when finishing the boil, does not take many sticks, one per gallon for our tastes. Our finishing process only consists of 1-3 gallons depending on the run and how much we collect so it is manageable in that respect. Just filter the sticks right out when you pour through your filter. We have also experimented with vanilla and it comes out mighty tasty as well. This is all for personal consumption, we give most of our syrup away and the added flavors simply make for a more interesting gift basket at Christmas time or b-days or what have ya.

Interesting.....I was planning on 1 small stick per 12 or 16 oz bottle and keeping it in the bottle but maybe that will be a bit too much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast