+ Reply to Thread

Thread: We got our homemade RO going finally!

Default We got our homemade RO going finally!

We didn't have enough time to work on it with this last big run (since Feb.!). But towards the end, we decided to stop boiling raw sap when it went to 1.5%. It leaks a little, but fixes with be easy. We ran it 3 hours and got 50 gallons of permeate an hour. Concentrate was pumped into feed tank until it was over 4%. Boiled in half the time and it felt good. Will do more tweaking and add a flow meter once we repair that. Ran it outside the first time straight from the truck tank, then moved it all behind the stack to keep from freezing. Then it rolls into a heated garage. Might put bigger tires on it later... really tired to keep it under a grand, but looks like we are going over a bit. Worth it though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by haytedder; 03-08-2018 at 01:55 PM. Reason: rotate photos

What did you use for your pump?

Do you have a parts list.I am looking to build a 4x40 stainless housing RO

they call it a 'carbonator' pump - 1/2 hp marathon with matching procon pump... used this for high pressure, and pushed it with another TSC water pump.

The rack was free - check with IT folks, there are a ton out there.
    The canisters can be found online for under $100
    Any membrane will fit standard size. We used 2.
    Water filter was a hardware store item, but filters there are pricey. 5 micron filters online are a little over a buck
    We used quick connects where if made sense for the ease of rolling around without all the hoses.
    We used the same tank connections to RO right from the truck tank or evap feed tank.
    All fittings where SS for high pressure connections, PVC for low pressure.
    High pressure line is hydraulic hose now, until we find a good source for braided SS.
    Concentrate pressure is controlled by a 1/2" high pressure needle valve, but will replace with a adjustable flow meter I'm rebuilding.
    Will also add another panel mount flow meter for permeate when rebuild is finished.
    Used 2 pressure gauges - one 400 psi for high pressure past both pumps, one 200 psi after water filter.

We didn't really know what we were doing, but happy with 100 gallons of water we don't have to boil every hour.
    The Cornell youtube series on small producer RO's was very helpful.
    If I did it again, for the same money, I'd do an 8" single. We already have a used membrane and will make that next years' project.
    That one I'd put a 3/4 hp motor, same setup but with 20" water filter instead of 10". I'm going to make a tall frame that can be strapped to a large dolly.
    The wheels on our rack are small and would be easier back and forth with large tires.

+ Reply to Thread