+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Year Continuous Flow

Default First Year Continuous Flow

This year I upgraded from a stockpot rocketstove at 1-2 gph to a 2x4 with AUF at 8-10 gph. it took me about 120 gallons to sweeten the pans (i run a little deeper due to draw off valve) to begin this season but now when i draw off, my syrup has a ton of niter and is very dark. I did draw off some early in the year about 214 degrees and finished on propane stove and was a nice amber color but now i am drawing off at 218 degrees and it is very dark.

What could i be doing wrong? is this normal for the extent of time is was over heat? sap was slightly cloudy but not to bad

Thanks for the help

It'll get dirtier and darker as the season goes. My early syrup was predictably light and very clean. Last two boils were predictably dark and very muddy. Just how it goes.....
    1980 - 6 taps, stone fire pit, drain pan evaporator, 1 pint of syrup
    2016 - 55 taps on 3/16 and gravity, new sugar shack, 2x3 Mason XL, 16 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 170 taps on 3/16, 2x4 Mason XL, NextGen RO. 50 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 250+ taps on gravity and buckets, 2x5 Smokey Lake arch and Beaverland pan.
    2019 - 250+ taps on gravity. A few buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.
    2020 - 300+ taps on gravity. 50 gallons of syrup.
    2021 - 280 taps on gravity and 40 buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.

Thanks for your input. I thought that might be the case. Last week we had a warm up and I was getting cloudy dirtier sap. Right now we have ideal running conditions and I am getting the best sap of the year.

If I just continue running evaporator with darker sap in it will my syrup lighten up as this new sap is at the draw off or should I drain the pan and refill and start new gradient with all clear fresh sap?

IMG_20180308_205840304B.jpg

If this picture attaches correctly it shows the color difference just a few day's can make. I personally like the darker look better than the really light . Boiled the light top qt. on 3-2-18 and the darker 3-7-18 using a digital thermometer cutting heat down after two bounces from 218.9 to 219 then simmer 5 mins to thicken. Outside evaporating time 2 hours.

Hoping this weekends run maintains that same semi-dark color.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 First year late start 18 taps. Produced 2 gallons syrup. Hooked for life.
    2018 2nd Year early start 26 taps In Jan increased to 86 taps March. Upgraded outdoor boiler concrete block & 2 20"x30"x5" Stainless pans. Swimming in sap this March! 100% disconnected all taps 3-27-18. Syrup produced 15 gallons!
    2019 Season late to start only a week before spring break. Season total syrup 1.5 gallons. Enjoyed every drop.
    2023 2/10/23 8 taps producing 1-1.5gal/24hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by hfmanifold View Post
    This year I upgraded from a stockpot rocketstove at 1-2 gph to a 2x4 with AUF at 8-10 gph. it took me about 120 gallons to sweeten the pans (i run a little deeper due to draw off valve) to begin this season but now when i draw off, my syrup has a ton of niter and is very dark. I did draw off some early in the year about 214 degrees and finished on propane stove and was a nice amber color but now i am drawing off at 218 degrees and it is very dark.

What could i be doing wrong? is this normal for the extent of time is was over heat? sap was slightly cloudy but not to bad

Thanks for the help
    I dont think your doing any thing wrong. Mostly dark syrup being made in NW PA right now.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by hfmanifold View Post

Thanks for the help
    Our end of season sprup gets darker also, usually a red amber color. Nothing to worry about......
    New for 2016 Mason 2x4 XL with AUF blower. No more boiling in stainless steam table trays or pots for me.

+ Reply to Thread