+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cloudy sap with slime in the bottom.

Default cloudy sap with slime in the bottom.

Two days after emptying my buckets they were about 1/4 full with fairly cloudy sap and slime in the bottom of the buckets. The weather during these two days was cold at night and did not get above 45 degrees during the day.

Does this mean these taps/trees are done putting out good say?

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
    Does this mean these taps/trees are done putting out good say?
    I would think that your trees are definitely done for this season. Slimy or ropey sap is usually a big hint that there is a lot of microbial action going on, and if it smells sour/or bad...toss it.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

It might simply mean that your buckets need to be cleaned. Whether the trees will run again depends upon the weather, how long your taps have been in, and your spout sanitation practices.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I have noticed this more in plastic buckets. I would bet a washing will take care of it. When I was on buckets I would take a 20-1 chlorine solution around and wash them out with it and have a tank of rinse water too and rinse and set them right back out. Usually one washing about mid season was enough, but in warm years it would usually take a second. Now, how cloudy is your sap? There's cloudy and there's milky looking.

When I used to hang buckets I would have times were the sap would be a bit cloudy and I thought I was done for the season. Then the weather would change and the sap would clear up and run good again.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    When I used to hang buckets I would have times were the sap would be a bit cloudy and I thought I was done for the season. Then the weather would change and the sap would clear up and run good again.
    Exactly what has happened this year. After last weeks warmth buckets were getting funky, slimey and some even had the dreaded pink mold starting. Just before the freeze up I went around with a bucket of clean water and scrubbed all the buckets real good. Everything flowing crystal clear again with freezing nights and warmish days.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Quote Originally Posted by wnybassman View Post
    Exactly what has happened this year. After last weeks warmth buckets were getting funky, slimey and some even had the dreaded pink mold starting. Just before the freeze up I went around with a bucket of clean water and scrubbed all the buckets real good. Everything flowing crystal clear again with freezing nights and warmish days.
    Two years ago, the last time that I hung buckets, the sap was cloudy and yellowish on some trees and it looked like the season was done. We got a cold snap that reset the trees and I got 4 more good runs. Others around me had pulled their taps and called it a season.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I did do a slime job on those six plastic buckets.

Did have a night of good freeze the night before last around 24 degrees and then a sunny day yesterday ... and the six buckets returned another 9 gallons of crystal clear sap.

Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    It might simply mean that your buckets need to be cleaned. Whether the trees will run again depends upon the weather, how long your taps have been in, and your spout sanitation practices.
    The weather definitely recovered these six taps. All six.

However could you clarify what "good spout sanitation practices" is so that I can engage in it if I am not already doing so?

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread